I just uploaded a "Special feb-23" avr-gcc Linux

Go To Last Post
29 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Guyzz

I just uploaded a "Special feb-23" avr-gcc Linux version ...

It's based on the patches from WinAVR-20100110-install.exe

It's "Unsupported" as it doesn't come from the FreeBSD , but i made it because it might take some time for Jörg to update the FreeBSD repository.

The only change is that i use binutils-2.19.1 , and hence that.
Had to remove the binutils patch 40-binutils-2.19-wrong-arch.patch , as it's allready applied.

Else all gcc & binutils patches are the ones from WinAVR , including the "build-in patches" , for gcc & lib-c.

Afaik needed for making some "touch libraries" from Atmel.

Ohh ... I also use the new avr-libc-1.6.8 ...

Insight uses the new patches from the FreeBSD repos.

So this is basically a WinAVR-20100110-install.deb install package.

Ehh ... except for the many modifications i allready have mentioned :oops: :oops:

Get the package here.
http://www.wrightflyer.co.uk/avr...

Note... It's build on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS , and I really can't support every distro. So if it works for you it's nice.

But don't complain if it doesn't

The sources for the build is a mix of my buildscript in the sticky.

Quote:
build-avr-gcc-4.3.3-libc-1.6.7-insight6.8-arch25-fix-dude-5.10-26-Jan-2010.zip

And EW's patches.
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

Known MCU names:
  avr1 avr2 avr25 avr3 avr31 avr35 avr4 avr5 avr51 avr6 avrxmega1
  avrxmega2 avrxmega3 avrxmega4 avrxmega5 avrxmega6 avrxmega7 at90s1200
  attiny11 attiny12 attiny15 attiny28 at90s2313 at90s2323 at90s2333
  at90s2343 attiny22 attiny26 at90s4414 at90s4433 at90s4434 at90s8515
  at90c8534 at90s8535 ata6289 attiny13 attiny13a attiny2313 attiny2313a
  attiny24 attiny24a attiny4313 attiny44 attiny44a attiny84 attiny25
  attiny45 attiny85 attiny261 attiny261a attiny461 attiny461a attiny861
  attiny861a attiny87 attiny43u attiny48 attiny88 at86rf401 at43usb355
  at76c711 atmega103 at43usb320 attiny167 at90usb82 at90usb162 atmega8u2
  atmega16u2 atmega32u2 atmega8 atmega48 atmega48a atmega48p atmega88
  atmega88a atmega88p atmega88pa atmega8515 atmega8535 atmega8hva
  atmega4hvd atmega8hvd at90pwm1 at90pwm2 at90pwm2b at90pwm3 at90pwm3b
  at90pwm81 atmega16 atmega16a atmega161 atmega162 atmega163 atmega164a
  atmega164p atmega165 atmega165a atmega165p atmega168 atmega168a
  atmega168p atmega169 atmega169a atmega169p atmega169pa atmega16hva
  atmega16hvb atmega32 atmega323 atmega324a atmega324p atmega324pa
  atmega325 atmega325p atmega3250 atmega3250p atmega328 atmega328p
  atmega329 atmega329p atmega329pa atmega3290 atmega3290p atmega32hvb
  atmega406 atmega64 atmega640 atmega644 atmega644a atmega644p atmega644pa
  atmega645 atmega645a atmega645p atmega649 atmega649a atmega649p
  atmega6450 atmega6450a atmega6450p atmega6490 atmega6490a atmega6490p
  atmega64hve atmega16hva atmega16hva2 at90can32 at90can64 at90pwm216
  at90pwm316 atmega16m1 atmega16u4 atmega32c1 atmega32m1 atmega32u4
  atmega32u6 atmega64c1 atmega64m1 at90usb646 at90usb647 at90scr100 at94k
  atmega128 atmega1280 atmega1281 atmega1284p atmega128rfa1 at90can128
  at90usb1286 at90usb1287 m3000f m3000s m3001b atmega2560 atmega2561
  atxmega16a4 atxmega16d4 atxmega32d4 atxmega32a4 atxmega64a3 atxmega64d3
  atxmega64a1 atxmega128a3 atxmega128d3 atxmega192a3 atxmega192d3
  atxmega256a3 atxmega256a3b atxmega256d3 atxmega128a1

Edit: I just build one project with it , so it's just tested verry lightly

Make sure you have a backup of your working toolchain

/Bingo

Last Edited: Tue. Feb 23, 2010 - 10:26 PM

Bingo,

I don't use the GNU AVR toolchain under Linux, but it is a very good feeling to know that there is one out there, would I ever need it.

If you don't hear 'thanks' often enough, here is one from me:
THANKS.

And here is one for Joerg for maintaining one on FreeBSD (more good feelings):
THANKS.

Jan

Thanx Jan

It's nice to know someone appreciates the effort

/Bingo

Nice!

I have a client piece that is 32u2 based running linux I had been doing this by compiling for the 162 and praying. .

Thanks.

Hi Bingo,

It's very much appreciated. We do continuous integration builds of our projects and is the main reason we use the Linux GCC toolchain. We could probably do it with WinAVR, but our existing build server is Linux and we can shell script all the bits and pieces we like to do with each release.

Plus, it means I don't have to boot to Windows now :)

Your efforts are very much appreciated.

-- Damien

http://dorkbotpdx.org/blog/feurig/avr_gcc_is_dead
No winavr
No obdev crosspack
no linux release

Shall we stick a fork in it and turn it over?
[/url]

But that blog entry has been written by someone who clearly does not know what's going on?!?

Eric made it VERY clear when he released WinAVR20100110 that it would be the very last issue. So this "news" is almost a year old.

What the blog author doesn't seem to know about is the brand new "AVR Toolchain" being issued directly from Atmel as a replacement for WinAVR.

Given that Eric works for Atmel nothing has really changed much in fact. I think it's just that Atmel want to see their name on it so it looks more like "their" AVR compiler than something put together by an external home hobbyist.

The rumor mill here suggests that Windows only AVR Studio 4 (which has now seen its last release) may be replaced by an Eclipse based multi-platform IDE. If this occurs then presumably the "toolchain" will also be built/packaged for use on multiple platforms too making for a complete multi-platform solution.

Bottom line: don't believe everything you read on the internet.

AVR GCC will continue to live as long as developers want to continue supporting/maintianing it. As an open source package, the life/death of the project is not linked to the wishes/actions of any coorporation. [also note that Atmels "toolchain" is based on AVR-GCC, so by no means is it dead]

The guy that wrote that blog post is obviously clueless.

Writing code is like having sex.... make one little mistake, and you're supporting it for life.

Looks like the next AVR-Toolchain is on the way:
http://distribute.atmel.no/tools/avr32/beta/avr8-gnu-toolchain-3.1.0.206-readme.pdf
Seems Linux now officialy supported (executeables/libs are allready in AVR32 Studio 2.7 beta)

Programmers never die
they just GOSUB without RETURN

Still..

Quote:
Known Issue's
[...]
• Bug #30363:_delay_xx() functions in are broken (AVR-libc)

"He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack, or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track. Oh the engineers would see him sitting in the shade, Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made. People passing by, they would stop and say, "Oh, my, what that little country boy could play!" [Chuck Berry]

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

This is quite interesting though:

Quote:
Release 3.0.0 adds preliminary support for ATTiny10 architecture in GCC and Binutils of AVR. AVR-libc on the other hand adds a minimal support by only including the startup code. The Standard C library support is not available at present.

Actually I was trolling for clues. I cant seem to find any links to the avr-gcc toolchain on atmels site outside of the avr32 version. And while it was obvious that winavr is dead there is nothing on its sights to tell people where to go. So we remain clueless.

Nice to know that its out there. It would be nicer to be able to find it.

:)

clawson wrote:
This is quite interesting though:
Quote:
Release 3.0.0 adds preliminary support for ATTiny10 architecture in GCC and Binutils of AVR. AVR-libc on the other hand adds a minimal support by only including the startup code. The Standard C library support is not available at present.

But isn't the T10 , quite "Register handicapped" ?

/Bingo

Ok,

Just for grins lets pretend that I am clueless and that you gurus are helpful. Search this site for winavr or avr-gcc then atmel's sites and find the current version of the 8 bit toolchain based on your search.

Don.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/product... scroll down the page about 80% or search for Studio on the page. V4.18 is the latest with 3 service packs that need to be intalled.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Ok so that covers windows (which I am painfully running in a vm so I can use the keil tools for the nuvoton arms I am using). The avr freaks pages for winavr is from 2007 and the sourceforge status changed early this to inactive with ZERO information on where it went.

I guess i need to quantify that since I am truly clueless i am running ubuntu. Which is why I posted in this thread.

Hopefully someone else can get a little closer.

I am gonna go back to reading the engrish in the nuvoton sample code now.

Quote:
Ok so that covers windows
Ohhh is there anything else? :wink:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

ddd7 wrote:
Ok,

Just for grins lets pretend that I am clueless and that you gurus are helpful. Search this site for winavr or avr-gcc then atmel's sites and find the current version of the 8 bit toolchain based on your search.

Don.

But neither this site, or Atmels site are the official site for AVR-GCC, so I would not expect to find any announcements, though there possibly could be discussion here. Win-AVR [AVR-GCC built and packaged for Windows along with other necessary components] is also not maintained here, though there is a forum for discussing it. EW [A contributer here], is the maintainer of that, and announced about a year ago that he would not be making anymore releases. [EW is also an Atmel employee and could very well be involved in Atmels efforts to produce an "official" Atmel toolchain based on AVR-GCC]

It's a matter of looking in the right place, and here and The Atmel site are not the right place... the "gurus" would know this, and not constrain their search as you suggest. Try Googling AVR-GCC. [Also note there are several components to produce a complete working toolchain, AVR-GCC is just the compiler]

Writing code is like having sex.... make one little mistake, and you're supporting it for life.

This tool is completely core to this community.

Or did I miss something here.

I spent many years maintaining an installable avr-gcc toolchain for osx. I am well aware of what happened (as well as who EW is).

I was just trying to update my own tools and was hoping that there would be some clue as to how to find stable source in the post winavr world.

Well I would start with the official AVR-GCC, and AVR-Libc project pages. The "Bingo" scripts, usually announced here are also a great start. [In fact there is a sticky thread at the top of this very forum dedicated to them http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p... ]

To say It was "core" to this community, I'm not so sure... there are plenty of different toolchains out there used to varying degrees by the contributers here. [Certainly GCC is the most popular, by nature of being free]

Looking at the Arduino install base may be another good starting point, as it is AVR-GCC based as well. But if you are looking for the "latest" then certainly the mailing-lists, and the associated project-pages are the best, and most definitive.

So, our clueless troll promoted his own clueless shitty blog post here for trolling purposes?

Our clueless troll did figure out nothing and we now have to wipe his bottom?

Stealing Proteus doesn't make you an engineer.

@ddd7
As glitch said you can build from source with the scripts in the "Sticky link"

Or get a .deb package here , if using Ubuntu
http://www.wrightflyer.co.uk/avr...

If you decide to use avrlibc-1.7.0 replace the installed delay.h , with the one from here

Read the Last "Sticky" posts , as they could contain tips to the build.
And contains a link to the last "Build source" http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p... , witch i haven't put in the sticky due to the delay bug in avrlibc-1.7.0

/Bingo

Thanks, That is exactly what I was looking for.

Call me clueless if you like. But building from scripts that scrape the patches from FreeBSD tree is so very much where we were 4-5 years ago. (see MacAvr thread).

And yes I did learn a lot in my trolling process here.

:P

....Like who is helpful and which forums are moderated...

ddd7 wrote:
Call me clueless if you like. But building from scripts that scrape the patches from FreeBSD tree is so very much where we were 4-5 years ago. (see MacAvr thread).

And yes I did learn a lot in my trolling process here.

:P

Huh ???

Jörg updated the FreeBSD patches to be in sync with the (last official) WinAVR patches last summer.

Where did the 4-5 years ago come from ?

/Bingo

Bingo,

I was replying to the froth above.

For the last several years when there was an official winavr release you would make a debian package, Christian would make a matching cross pack for osx and everyone would be on the same page and those of us who work on macs and linux as our primary operating systems would not have to scratch build everything.

I run a small pile of macs and linux boxes. Installable packages are nice.

Again see the macavr threads for a little background.

ddd7 wrote:
Bingo,

For the last several years when there was an official winavr release you would make a debian package, Christian would make a matching cross pack for osx and everyone would be on the same page and those of us who work on macs and linux as our primary operating systems would not have to scratch build everything.

I run a small pile of macs and linux boxes. Installable packages are nice.

Again see the macavr threads for a little background.

Ahh i get it ..
Back to building from scratch on all platforms

/Bingo

ddd7 wrote:

if you're replying to something other than the immediately preceding post, quote it [the relevent part as I've done here]. Otherwise your comments seem out of place and confusing, as some of what you have written above does here.

Actually it is quite often a good idea to quote, even if it is the immediately preceding post - in case what you're replying to gets edited.