How to program AT91SAM7S512

Go To Last Post
19 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello there,

I hope you are doing well. I have some doubts regarding AT91SAM7S512 chip... I can not see it from the Atmel Studio 7 so I suppose it is not supported there.

I would like to know is it possible for me to program this chip with ATMEL-ICE tool? Also, which IDE can I use to develop the code and compile it?

Thank you very much for your time and effort.

Sincerely,

Bojan.

Last Edited: Wed. Apr 20, 2016 - 02:50 PM

You are posting in the wrong forum. This one of for Debuggers/Programmers for AVR. So I will move this thread.

But you are right that SAM7 is not supported by Studio. The old SAM7 and SAM9 predate the point at which Atmel put ARM cortex support into AVR Studio so it became the combined "Atmel Studio" at version 6 (then 7). So the only ARMs added to Studio 6 onwards are the contemporary ones which basically means the Cortex M0, M3 and M4 models.

For the old SAM7/9 you would just develop for those using a generic ARM development toolchain/IDE. The debugger used to be just Segger J-Link but these days I think the Atmel-ICE supports SAM7/9 too. I guess you would presumably be using it wiuth OpenOCD but after I've moved this thread to the ARM forums I'm sure someone more knowledgable about SAM7/9 development will have more accurate details of what you will need to use.

Moderator.

Thanks for your help and useful info, moderator.

Would you be so kind to let me know where did you move the thread so that I can follow it ?

Sincerely,

Bojan.

I think you can use SAM-BA to load code via usb

Hey Kartman,

Thanks for your message. I have a custom PCB containing AT91SAM7S512 chip with JTAG connector and USB connector. Both connectors are connected with the AT91SAM7S512 chip through the appropriate pins.

I currently have just an ATMEL-ICE programmer with me. Unfortunately, I don't have SAM-BA. Is it possible to load the code on the processor by using ATMEL-ICE programmer or I will be obliged to take SAM-BA?

Thanks,

Bojan.

I just realized that one of my friends has Hitex Tantino for ARM7-9 development tool with the IDE on the disc.

Will it be possible for me to benefit from this tool chain?

I used Winarm many years ago. samba is one method of loading the code, you can still use jtag. I have no idea if the atmel ice supports the sam7s series.

Anybody here willing to resolve my doubts...

I have custom board with AT91SAM7S512 processor and JTAG connector. Can I use ATMEL-ICE programmer to load the code on it ?

Thank you very much for your time and efforts.

Sincerely,

Bojan.

Let me dig up this old thread as I'm facing the same problem.

In my case I'd like to program AT91SAM7S256 and AT91SAM7X512 devices. We still have old SAM-ICE available but these seem to be no longer available soon. So, what has to be done to be able to use Atmel-ICE instead?

Regards

The old sam-ice was a segger j-link. The j-link is still made and supported. Openocd supports these and the sam7 series.

Last Edited: Wed. Sep 27, 2017 - 10:27 PM