fresh install of avr 4.18 and winavr 20100010 problems

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Author
Total votes: 0

I just installed the above on my machine and I get the following errors:

Build started 25.1.2012 at 10:49:28
mmcu=atmega168 -Wall -gdwarf-2 -std=gnu99 -DF_CPU=14745600UL -Os -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -MD -MP -MT rs232.o -MF dep/rs232.o.d -c rs232.c
/usr/bin/sh: -Wall: command not found
make: [rs232.o] Error 127 (ignored)

This same project on another machine with 4.19 and winavr 2010 reports an error like "mmcu=atmega168 unknown command"

It seems like make is not processing the command strings correctly. Has this problem shown up to anyone else?
I tried the config fix about manually putting in the paths to avrgcc and make but it makes no difference. The 4.18 version seems to find gcc and make fine, the 4.19 version does not show them but does generate a make file. Manually putting in the paths on that machine don't seem to make a difference.

First time trying to use avrtools 4 so please be patient Used Make for years on unix systems though.
All help will be appreciated.

Your command should say

-mmcu=atmega168

i.e. have a hyphen

I suspect you are using an external Makefile, and the Makefile is corrupted.

AS4.18 should be very reliable.

AS4.19 introduces special features like forcing you to use a broken Toolchain.

David.

Attachment(s): 

Warning: Grumpy Old Chuff. Reading this post may severely damage your mental health.

Make file has the following entries:

## Options common to compile, link and assembly rules
COMMON = -mmcu=$(MCU)

## Compile options common for all C compilation units.
CFLAGS = $(COMMON)
CFLAGS += -Wall -gdwarf-2 -std=gnu99 -DF_CPU=14745600UL -Os -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums
CFLAGS += -MD -MP -MT $(*F).o -MF dep/$(@F).d

don't see anything wrong there and I have removed the makefile and let it be regenerated with same results. Would I be better off going back to an earlier version of winavr? 4.19/2010 combo misses the "-" on the mmcu statement and the 4.18/2010 version barfs at "-Wall". Is winavr 2010 a tested version? Is it Make or AVR studio parsing the commands? I would think it's make but mind could be going, it has been a while since I've coded much.
Thanks for your assistance

Something is wrong. I would remove and re-install both packages.

If you still have a problem, do a Clean, then Build.

Copy-paste the complete text from the Build window and post it here preferably within CODE tags.

David.

Thats why I tried another machine from the orginal 4.19/2010 installation. Problem changed but fundementally was still there. First environment is XP pro second environment is Vista. Don't know if thats relevent or not.

Code tags???

Either way I'll repost after cleaning all versions of XP machine and retrying. Thanks for help so far

We have had several threads on this before. The thing all these (three or four?) threads have in common is that the avr-gcc command as such is missing in the compile command line (and also in the link command line IIRC).

I am too lazy to search those other threads out, but a careful selection of search terms (a part of the error message, hint, hint...) should bring them up. At least one the last month or so.

Since the "be nice at AVRfreaks" campaign is on, I won't say: Whatever happened to peoples ability to search the Web (and specifically 'freaks) when perhaps 95 percent of all questions already have their answers out there. Oh darn, now I did it any way.. :D Well, might as well be a nice guy and do the search for you
[5 minutes of searching commences ]

Here:
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=114162&highlight=wall+command
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=113638&highlight=wall+command
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=111950&highlight=wall+command
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=111803&highlight=wall+command

You go read, but IIRC the net sum is that AVR Studio 4.19 is FUBAR in this respect.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington]

/usr/bin/sh: -Wall: command not found mean that the executable (avr-gcc.exe) is not found, so that's why I posted a picture above - have you seen it?

Warning: Grumpy Old Chuff. Reading this post may severely damage your mental health.

Quote:

/usr/bin/sh: -Wall: command not found mean that the executable (avr-gcc.exe) is not found

Not sure if we agree or not here, MBedder.

As I understand it the "avr-gcc" is actually missing in the generated command line (i.e. Studio generates a command line that is "F'd U"). The generated command line actually starts

-Wall ...

and sure enough, there is no such command to be found.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington]

AVR Studio takes an executable name/path as configured in aforementioned dialog, so the empty dialog field produces empty executable name. Adding the path manually (pressing "Browse..." and pointing to .exe) should fix the "problem".

Why are we re-hashing this for the Nth time. It's a fault (or deliberate ploy by Atmel) in 4.19

It won't find WinAVR automatically any more.

So set it manually.

End of.

Pages