can I send a CAN message from a PC over rs232 to AT90CAN128?

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can send a CAN (Control Area Network)(29 bit message with 3 idle bits)(I believe CAN 2.0 b) message from a PC over rs232 to AT90CAN128?

As I understand it is possible to reprogram the flash memory of the AT90CAN128 by sending a CAN message. I guess this would be one step beyond or just a different option then UART style.

The reason I am using CAN and not UART is because the device I am trying to reprogram the flash memory of, has a CAN connector and not a DB9/DE9 connector for serial data transfer.

I have already done the AT90CAN128 side CAN enable and crc and flash and eeprom handling routines. And I know exactly what the binary CAN messages are I need to send to the AT90CAN128, but i just dont know how to send them from a PC.

Surely easiest would be to build an intelligent interface/converter using another CAN chip - on the PC facing side (via MAX232) use UART so it can be driven by a terminal program - on the device facing side use it's own CAN interface to connect to your CAN based device.

(IOW a bit like an ISP programmer but it's doing CAN not ISP on the outward facing side)

PS I'm just trying to spot the connection between this thread and the subject of this forum - so far I've got nothing? Should I move the thread to AVR Forum?

aside from this is there anything else? like strictly software and without a need for a CAN transiever? or am i stuck having to use a CAN transiever to send my CAN message to my AT90CAN128?

Friend of mind mentioned P-CAN software tool but ive never used it. Anyone able to verify that I can just use this software to send a CAN message from my PC over rs232 to a AT90CAN128?

But PC's have UARTs, they don't have CAN interfaces - so to achieve it you have to bit-bang an interface the PC does have such as serial D9 or parallel D25 - but few PCs have those these days.

k thanks for clearing it up for me.

So i need to UART from PC to a CAN transiever that will send the CAN message I want to my AT90CAN128.

Thanks for the help