Benny Hill Chase Music

Last post
31 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Ok, this is an embarrassing problem. I'm using AVR Studio 6.1 beta (6.1.2440), and about every 5-10 times I build my solution, the Benny Hill chase music starts playing!

I have visual studio 2010, and it doesn't do it.

I've googled for viruses, but found nothing. Windows defender found nothing. (My box is pretty well locked down - I don't run as administrator).

It seemed to start happening after I installed the LUFA via the gallery - this may be a coincidence.

Have I found an easter egg? Can it be turned off?

Bahaha, working late?

Tools->Options, Extensions->LUFA Library, disable Easter Egg.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

You really did this, Dean?

I'm 50 percent laughing with convulsions, 50 percent detesting such a move.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington]

Well, it's only a (theoretical) 5% chance of triggering it, after 5PM when enabled....

https://github.com/abcminiuser/lufa/commit/3a42a354c1727a4cae0c5f5b421459fd6dc4fcf8

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

I love easter eggs but they probably need to remain hidden a bit deeper - like only on every 3rd Tuesday in a month that contains the letter R.

(some confirmation to the user that it's intentional and not a virus may be an idea too ;-))

Love your work dean. :D

clawson wrote:
I love easter eggs but they probably need to remain hidden a bit deeper - like only on every 3rd Tuesday in a month that contains the letter R.

(some confirmation to the user that it's intentional and not a virus may be an idea too ;-))

The egg is not excaclty hidden if you look at the package options, but I guess that people seldom venture into the options dialog :P

Still, better than the first test with "let's just play it one in five" :P

:: Morten

It was really frustrating. Most of my builds were really short, so I'd only get the first note. But then a full build played most of the tune.

I'm glad it wasn't a virus!

Ok ok, I'll turn it off in the next release, I've had my fun now.

What kind of virus would hook the Atmel Studio build events, and play a looped version of Yackety Sax?

Quote:

What kind of virus would hook the Atmel Studio build events, and play a looped version of Yackety Sax?

That'd be high on my list if I was into writing virii! :-)

Wiseguy!

Torby

Don't grow up! It's a trap!

I'm damned impressed how quickly you figured it out - I just wanted those who worked late to feel like they're the Atmel web team for a day, no harm intended.

In any case, I've reduced the Yackety Sax constant, added a 45 minute lockout and added a status bar message to make it obvious how to turn it off. My hope is to brighten people's long days with a bit of whimsicality, not ruin them.

Thinking about it, that was so EVIL! Considering it was designed to play randomly after 5pm, I assume you were trying to torment poor engineers working back late at night!

So, I'm obliged to ask...

What's next? Sharks with frikin lasers attached to their heads?

;)

No, I suspect that this is simply a precursor to letting the Atmel Web Team roam freely across The Internet. We're doomed..

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington]

I'll have to turn my sound ON to check this out, I would have never happened to me as sounds are always OFF.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

js wrote:
I'll have to turn my sound ON to check this out, I would have never happened to me as sounds are always OFF.

Then be careful John, as there may be a lot more sound coming from your system then you would expect.

Had a real big laugh about this thread though. Super Dean

1)Datasheet and application notes checked?
2)tutorial forum
3)Newbie start here

Scene: Lunch/coffe-room at work. I've been struggling with InstallShield (a software invented by the devil himself) all moning and need another shot. Behind me two engineers sit and talk about some job matter, when a phone belonging to one of them goes off.

Guess what ring signal it was..

The two enginers look at me with baffled faces when I burst into laughter.

I need to get that "Yakety Sax" into one of my Spotify play lists.

abcminiuser wrote:
I'm damned impressed how quickly you figured it out - I just wanted those who worked late to feel like they're the Atmel web team for a day, no harm intended.

I hate you!!! I figured the music was a sign of the stress corrupting my mind, so I spent a lot of money in psychotherapies, and even joined the AA ("Atmelist Anonymous") support Group.
:lol:

I guess it's nearly time for a new release - and I suppose the next version should have the Easter Egg turned off by default. Apparently it kept triggering at a few Atmel Tech on Tour events to the bemusement of the attending FAEs, so I've had my fun.

Too bad it didn't happen in Bologna!
Domenico is always very serious and professional, he could benefit from a good laugh ;-)

Quote:
Apparently it kept triggering at a few Atmel Tech on Tour events to the bemusement of the attending FAEs, so I've had my fun.

You are truly evil, Dean :wink:

This Brightens my day Dean, I love it :) it reminds me that it's time to go visit my family :)

Keep it in please, but maybe add a little random "bright side of life" once in a while......

www.proficnc.com

I agree!

Seriously I don't see any evil in adding some more Easter Eggs to AS6.2 - and please don't reveal anything 8)

And if they're turned off by default, how are they ever going to play? I think a well-behaved easter egg needs to:

1. Play along WITH the operation you intended to do, not instead.
2. Tell you it's an easter egg, with option to disable or play it again.

Ok, when I started this post, I had a third point...

And I still haven't heard this one. I do work at odd times

Torby

Don't grow up! It's a trap!

abcminiuser wrote:
I guess it's nearly time for a new release

What is being considered for the new release?

I wouldn't be brave enough to ask about vtables in flash again :D

regards
Greg

Quote:

What is being considered for the new release?

I wouldn't be brave enough to ask about vtables in flash again

Not a Studio release - a LUFA release. VTables in flash is a GCC/avr-libc issue.

Vtables in flash is only ever going to happen when someone does the work. Most of the recent GCC development work has been by Georg-Johan Lay and is targetted at the C compiler not the C++ compiler. So if someone wants changes there it may be the case that you will have to do it yourself.

Also search the dev lists for discussion of C++ VTables. I think the subject has been explored but those in the know have suggested it would be a HUGE amount of potentially risky work for very little gain.

Bottom line: it ain't going to happen until someone really passionate about it puts in the hours to do it. Step one: find someone passionate about it.

clawson wrote:

Bottom line: it ain't going to happen until someone really passionate about it puts in the hours to do it.

I said....
Greg wrote:
I wouldn't be brave enough to ask about vtables in flash again

regards
Greg

Ah, now that explains that one.

1) see other posts about A3U PDI not starting and the A3U D3 substitution.
2) I always work late, since I don't do this for work, I do this for me.
3) I'd installed LUFA because of the A3U chip, and just because I thought it would be a good idea.

Disabling the extension fixed the problem, but imagine what happens when the volume is turned down low on the laptop, and this goes off...

Did I REALLY hear that?

Especially in concert with the PDI programming not working....

Seriously, glad that I know why now.

Benny Hill, haven't seen him in ages.....

triggering very often... puh 5%? Did not know I do THIS LOT of "try and error" compilations :-)
At least this mystery is debunked now.
First time I hear it it was a real shock! But got used to it.

Ahahaha, the thought of someone just ending up accepting that their computer randomly plays the Benny Hill theme while working with AVRs just makes this a fresh new kind of funny.

You can turn it off in the Atmel Studio settings to preserve the last of your sanity ;).