AVRStudio MFC Application error

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi all:

I have recently run into a problem with my AVRstudio. Everytime I go to open the program it pops up with a window that says

"AVRStudio MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I have uninstalled and re-installed many time. I installed new and old versions and service packs, restarted after everytime. I even cleaned my registry looking for every instance of avrstudio4 after I uninstalled. I have no idea how to fix this. I think I'm missing a windows file or something. Also my codevision has a problem programming. it says it can't access stk500.exe Please help.

How old is the windows install ?

try a clean install add the service packs and try again.

Theres a great free product from Sun called virtual box which can allow to run windows in side another OS. Its great to be able to take snapshots of your OS install. This is great for maintenence of OS issues etc or keeping software environments seperate from er your family :).

Another option - go to ccleaner.com - and down load their 'crap cleaning' tool. It will spped up your machine too if this is a resgistry issue it will have an attempt at sorting it out.

I also think a belief in God helps when using windows but thats me not being helpful so I'll end the advice :)

I am having the same problem with an Atmega128 that used the JTAGICE MK1 for development (IAR compiler). Switched to a JTAGICE MK2 and I get the same messege:

"AVRStudio MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Tried the MK2 with a AT90USBKEY (developed with GCC) and it works fine. Same computer, same XP version, same Studio version.

What's happening?

I don't have an answer, but it is obvious that without knowing which Windows OS you are using there may not be any answer possible. There have been problems reported with Vista and also with 64 bit versions of XP, Vista and Win 7 beta.

AVRStudio seems to like running in an account with administrator privileges.

"same XP version"

Just found that the JTAGICE MK1 gives the same message.

Same XP what???? You never said what it is the same as!

Is 32 bit XP Home, 32 bit XP Pro, 64 bit bit XP Home or 64 bit XP Pro?

I think IAR has its own IDE available, so you may not have to use AVRStudio for it?

Have you tried uninstalling GCC for testing purposes with only IAR?

If this looks like an IAR problem, the purchase price should have included support from IAR.

32-bit XP Pro. The IAR is an older version with no support. Previous procedure was to use IAR to edit/compile and Studio to program/debug so I don't think it is an IAR issue. I think Studio just loaded the .elf file.

Removed WinAVR-GCC but still same results.

I am able to load and run the WinAVR-compiled AT90USB code in Studio on both the AT90USBKEY and on the Atmega128 platforms with the JTAGICE MK2 (after changing the processor to ATmega128 in the "Select device and platform" window).

Is there a Studio issue when changing from MK2 to MK1 in the "Select device and platform" window?

I don't know, I've only ever used the MK2.

Did your IAR ever work with any older AVRStudio version? If it did, maybe regressing to that specific older AVRStudio version might tell you if IAR is broken or if its just having problems with a newer AVRStudio version. You might want to try this with the MK1 because an older AVRStudio may want to "upgrade" the JTAGICE firmware (actually downgrade in this case) to its older version. Risk only the least expensive JTAGICE :wink:.

Of course this solves nothing if the older AVRStudio version doesn't support the newer AT90USB chip.

I think ATMEL has worked on lots of .elf AVRStudio issues over the years. Actually both AVRStudio new version and IAR old version may technically "work", but they could have compatibility problems between them in the .elf file IAR generation and the AVRStudio .elf file processing (only speculation).