Avrdude does not detect Jtag IceMkII while avr studio does ?

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Question is in the subject, here is some more information:
- Vista SP1
- avrdude 5.6 cvs
- avr studio 4.15 (4b623)
- Winavr20081205
- Firmware JtagIce: 052c 052c

I search a lot for this problem on the forum. Icould find the oposit but not this case.

I've actually renamed my "libusb0.dll" to "libusb0.dll-backup" everywhere in Winavr installation as it should solve some problems, but my Jtag Ice MkII (brand new) still not detected by avrdude.

$ avrdude -c jtag2 -p m1281 -P usb:xx -v
avrdude.exe: usbdev_open(): did not find any (matching) USB device "usb:xx"

And "testlibusb-win.exe" from "C:\WinAVR-20081205\utils\libusb\bin" does not find ANY USB device !

Unless some form of libusb is installed, avrdude will not be able to communicate with any USB devices.

libusb for Windows comes in two flavours - a regular device driver, which can communicate with most devices that don't already have another Windows device driver installed; and a filter driver, which communicates with devices that already have their own Windows device drivers installed via the existing drivers.

If a device already has a Windows device driver installed, then the filter driver is the only way for libusb to talk to it. If a device does not have a Windows device driver installed, then the regular device driver is the only way for libusb to communicate with it.

The version of libusb that comes with WinAVR is the regular device driver, not the filter driver. Therefore, if AVR Studio's custom device driver is already installed, then WinAVR's libusb driver will not be able to communicate with any USB-based Atmel programmers.

Solutions include:
1) Temporarily uninstall AVR Studio's device driver and use WinAVR's linusb device driver instead. Then when you're done with avrdude, you can switch back to AVR Studio's device driver.

2) Remove the regular libusb device driver that comes with WinAVR, and install the libusb filter driver instead. This is apparently not recommended by the libusb authors.

Note that everything I've told you is mentioned in the WinAVR user manual/release notes. You can read them by clicking Start->Programs->WinAVR->WinAVR User Manual.

Thank's for your answer,

I had a bit read about this before, but i don't understand how to install libusb filter ?
In winAVR lib there is an "install-filter.exe" but it does not seem to do anything ?

Which are the exact steps to get AVRStudio and AvrDude prog&debug tools working together?

No answer for my last question, it's may be too silly ?
Anyway thank's for your help.

Refer to this link below for how to get the new libusb32 - after installation - avrdude will find your usb programmer

http://www.mail-archive.com/avr-...