avrdude and bootloader

Last post
17 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi,

i want to flash a bootloader file for a mega2560. The .hex file only includes the bootloader code which is about 4kB, but avrdude starts programming from 0x0000 to the last address in the .hex file and not only from the bootloader start address (the part is correct programmed. Th edude seems to fill the empty code parts with 0xff). This generates very long programming times.

Does anybody know, how to solve this very long programming time problem ?

Thanks
tmo

Has the .hex file been compiled to be programmed into bootloader start address?

avrdude just programs the locations the hex file tells it to.

yes, it starts from 0x3f000. There is nothing before this address in the .hex file.

bye

Which programmer was used?

I use the STK500, but with AVRstudio, not with AVRdude.
And then only the used Flash was programmed.
So programming the bootloader (524 byte at 0x03fc00) into the ATmega2561 need about one second.

Peter

programmer is stk200 dongle.

I don't think it is solvable without some modifications to avrdude.

I was poking around in the source a while back trying figure out why the terminal mode flash dumps were so slow.

If I remember correctly,
the low level block read/write routines (...paged_write() and ..._paged_load() do not take starting addresses. They only take a byte count and boldly assume that the data always starts at the beginning of the memory space.

In the case of terminal mode, it meant the the dump routines had to call the byte access routines in order specify starting addresses, which is much slower that reading blocks (multiple bytes), especially if going over USB.

For programming, I would expect the behavior you are seeing since programming has to use the block mode and there is no way to specify the starting block to the lower block read/write functions.

--- bill

Sorry, the information above related to the stk500 code (which is what I was using) and does not really apply to the stk200.

I just looked at the code and it appears that the stk500 has code to avoid writing pages that are all 0xff (empty) but the code in the parallel programmer code (which I think is what is used for the stk200) does not appear to have this optimization.

This should be a very small and easy patch to avrdude.

--- bill

> This should be a very small and easy patch to avrdude.

The more difficult part would be to generalize this. I think there are
already open bug/patch reports for this. Right now, AVRDUDE flattens
out the input file into an internal memory image, thereby losing the
information which part of the memory image was actually related to the
input file itself (where the input file could consist of multiple input
segments, like an application and a bootloader). The way the STK500 code
handles it is only wrong in other ways: in case an input file actually
contains a large block of 0xff, the verification would ignore that request,
and indicate a correct programming operation even in situations where there
has been prior data in the respective actual memory region.

Alas, this will become a major code rework.

Jörg Wunsch

Please don't send me PMs, use email if you want to approach me personally.
Please read the `General information...' article before.

I think the stk500 code only skips over writes of 0xff.
I believe that all reads are still done for verification.

I would think that while not optimum, couldn't something like this be applied to the general case?

For example if you know the part was just erased, it should contain all 0xff and so it should be perfectly safe to skip over writes of 0xff.

And when in byte write mode, this would eliminate having to read the part to see if the write was needed. The code could just write the new data if it wasn't 0xff.

It would mean that for something like a bootloader lots of additional reads and verification for flash data outside the bounds of the bootloader code are still done after all the writes have completed but I would think that even this simple optimization would offer some amount of time benefit.

--- bill

> For example if you know the part was just erased, it should contain
> all 0xff and so it should be perfectly safe to skip over writes of 0xff.

Well, even if not erase, a write operation to the flash (in contrast to
EEPROM) with 0xff wouldn't be able to change anything... So yes, you
convinved me, when writing, pages with all 0xff can safely be skipped.

As that is a general thing, it could be moved out of the STK500 code
into the generic part.

Anyway, that would only solve have of the OP's problem, because the
verification read would still read the entire flash ROM (up to the end
of the input file's size), so skipping over 0xff writes would at most
save 50 % of the time (unless they turn off verification, but that's
probably not a bright idea in particular for a bootloader).

Jörg Wunsch

I haven't looked at the code yet to see how involved this is yet, but to help reduce the reminder of the excess i/o operations, what if the code that reads in and flattens out the hex image kept track of 2 values.
A lowest address and a highest address.
This would be the lowest memory address in the hex image and the memory address of the highest byte in the image.
(I assume highest address is already kind of tracked since there is a byte count)
This would essentially put a bounds on the flattened out memory image.
i.e. it marks the memory inside the flattened memory image that is "valid".

The update/write and verify code could limit its memory range to the memory within these addresses.

I'm assuming that most hex images are not sparsed data. If that is the case, then this simple method should help in most cases.

This would be particularly helpful for the burning of small bootloaders in large flash memories such as the mega2560 which is what tmo (the OP) was doing.

In his case only 4k of the 256k part needed to be updated.

--- bill

Well, not ideal, but perhaps suitable as a stop-gap measure. Still,
I think it will require internal API changes so to be able to pass
a starting address to the paged IO functions.

Jörg Wunsch

I poked around a bit in the avrdude code. Its actually kind of complicated for what sounds like such a simple capability.

Complicating things is that certain boot loaders like the Arduino/ADAboot loader emulate a stk500 but don't erase the part when asked. They erase it during self programming as they get write requests to update it.

There is the possibility that that the AVRMEM structure could be modified to keep track of the "valid" data pointed to by the buf member.

But it would be nice to eventually have starting addresses passed in to the paged functions.
I looked at this in detail a while back as
having this would allow updating the terminal mode code to use paged mode instead of byte mode which would dramatically speed up terminal memory dumps.

--- bill

Yes, I'm all for it. ;-)

Jörg Wunsch

bperrybap wrote:

Complicating things is that certain boot loaders like the Arduino/ADAboot loader emulate a stk500 but don't erase the part when asked. They erase it during self programming as they get write requests to update it.
--- bill

Ok this is the closest that I have come across to figuring out how to write "real" C and use an Arduino board. I figure so far from your posts that the Arduino boot loader emulates STK500 so that would be USB emulated serial on the PC side. However my question is how does one compile the C code with WinAVR keeping in mind that the .hex file will be loading using a boot loader instead of SPI (or even the high voltage parallel programming method)?

There must be something in the make file to tell it NOT to start from 0x00 and also adjust all non-relative jumps etc.

From all that I understand about it, if a "normal" .hex is uploaded to an AVR that has a boot loader it will simply not since the boot loader starts at 0x00 and my .hex was meant for the same start address right?

Thanks
~B

Nope!

The bootloader starts in the boot section which differs depending on the flash size. I'm not sure but I think the Arduino 328 bootloader starts at 0x3c00. The application code starts at 0x0000 and is copied to that location by the bootloader code.

Smiley

FREE TUTORIAL: 'Quick Start Guide for Using the WinAVR C Compiler with ATMEL's AVR Butterfly' AVAILABLE AT: http://www.smileymicros.com

Quote:
From all that I understand about it, if a "normal" .hex is uploaded to an AVR that has a boot loader it will simply not since the boot loader starts at 0x00 and my .hex was meant for the same start address right?

No. Your only consideration is that the mega328p has got 0x000-0x3bff for your Application. (assuming 0x3c00-0x3fff for the bootloader)
All regular applications start at 0x0000. You do not do anything different because it 'might' be loaded via a bootloader.

In your WinAVR Makefile you just need to set the $(AVRDUDE) macros so you can use "make program".

Note that you can NOT use the Studio "Connect Programmer Dialog". You need to use avrdude. It is simplest to write a batch file for avrdude because it has a relatively complex command line.

You can (and I do) load any m328p C program or Arduino sketch with the bootloader.

David.