AVR Studio will not find AVRIPSmkII

Last post
38 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi all. HELP !
AVR Studio can't find USB AVRISP programmer. Have tried to remove the whole program, and the reinstall.
After reinstall, plugged the USB AVRISP to the USP port. PC find AVRISP and telling "Ready to user" and in the control panel it seeem OK. BUT NO. When opening the AVR Studio, it will not find the USB priogrammer. Have just bought a new one, but stil same problem. How can it bee ??? Hope for help. :cry:

Thanks
Per
PS: Windows XP

Have a look in Device Manager - do you see the Jungo USB driver listed there and beneath the AVRISPmkII?

Hi again..Yes under Device Manager is Jungo USB driver listed there and beneath the AVRISPmkII, and driver sayes OK.
What can be wrong ?
Thaks Per

Have you tried to change the drive manually? Point it to the driver in the avr studio directory (don't remember exactly where it is, but you should be able to find it). The last time I installed it, Windows installed the wrong driver for it as well.

Clint

Hi again. Yps I have done that, so tthe driver must be the right one.
Br
Per

Hi all. Have total removed V4.17, and then reinstalled V4.15 and everythings is now OK, so there must be something with V4.17.
Have a nice weekend
Br
Per

We have seen some issues with registration of our own communication module. Locate the file scomm.dll in the AVRStudio installation, open a command window in the folder and give the command regsvr32 scomm.dll Scomm.dll handles both serial communication and communication with the jungo usb-driver.

Lars Kvenild
Atmel Norway

I'm going to make this sticky for a while so that Lars' advice remains visible for others afflicted by this.

hi,
try to reset the setting of the programmer,maybe that will be ok.
regards.

www.tymall.net
MSN:leestone@live.cn
Email:leestone@live.cn

I read this thread with interest since I have been having a similar problem with AVRStudio connecting to my Dragon board. I have been running Studio 4, build 17 and have simply been unable to connect to my Dragon board over USB. I reinstalled Studio, reinstalled the Jungo driver, and finally tried running "regsvr32 SComm.dll as suggested by tech support in this thread.
==========.

I uninstalled V4.17 and installed V4.16 and I can now connect to my Dragon board.

Just to note that 4.18 is now released. It *may* be a solution?

I just installed 4.18 and AVR Studio can no longer connect with my AVRISP MKII - completely locks up the program. I tried the suggestions above - nothing has worked.

I tried upgrading the firmware to the AVRISPmk2, but AVR Studio 4.18 just couldn't see the device. I uninstalled 4.18, installed 4.16, upgraded the firmware, and now I'm back in business.

I thought I was the only one with this trouble, now I realise it's endemic. I too have v4.18 Studio 4 and it refuses to connect to my AVRISP II - in fact, I can't even put it into boot mode and upgrade the firmware on the AVRISP.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, and Lars' advice (regsvr32 scomm.dll) does not work. It generates the Windows error 0x80070005.

Downloading the MGR tool to remedy that bug doesn't work either. Still no further forward. Next step uninstal, then go back to v4.15 or thereabouts. Atmel, what gives? Don't these releases get tested before release?

Will C
Cambridge, UK
ATMega 2560 user

Further to this, I uninstalled, downloaded v4.16 (*WHY??* do you have to register every damn time you download something, no matter how many times you've done it before?) and...

Still no joy. Studio 4 is officially incommunicado.

Will C
Thinking of migrating to a competitor's platform.... :-(

Hi,

after two days of installing and deinstalling drivers, programs,... Here are my points:
- I use XP with latest SP, Studio4, version 4.18, SP build 694
- from HW side, I use AVRISP mkII and STK600
- Device manager of XP shows USB Jungo group, WinDrv for Studio and both drivers for HW attached
- I can upgrade FW for both programmers (AVRISP, STK600)
- AVRprog, as native programer for Studio, can not find any board attached
- My project is on hold... :-(

As I can read, switching to versions prior 4.18 dont help. Or? I want to program xMega16A4.

Tnx for help,
Andrej

Quote:
- AVRprog, as native programer for Studio,
IT IS NOT! Read my post in the other thread.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Ok, I can agree, that AVRprog is not native. When I go tools/AVR prog..., I receive message window from AvrProg:

No supported board found!
AVRprog version 1.40

From this I assumed obvious mistake about AVRprog.

But fact is, that I do not receive any selection to choose from.

Andrej

Trym wrote:
give the command regsvr32 scomm.dll

In addition, I tried this registration but no success.

Please, can anyone help me with info, which version of Studio or any other programmer works with AVRISP mkII and STK600 using Xmega's?

Tnx, Andrej

Andrej,

Suggest you actually READ what John wrote. If you are using an AVRISPmkII then AVRProg is NOT, repeat NOT, the program you use to drive it. That's an old add-on program to Studio for use with really ancient programmers. The support for the AVRISPmkII is accessed via the [Connect] button on the toolbar (perhaps not surprisingly this IS what the manual says)

[continue discussion in the separate thread you started - this noise is off-topic for this sticky]

We lost three days to this but got ourselves going again by simply finding 4.15.623 from another source (not Atmel), removing 4.18, and installing the 4.15.

We also had to overnight in two new MK IIs because two were killed by trying to upgrade firmware using 4.18.

Here is the process we used:
Control Panel/Add Remove Programs
Locate Studio
Uninstall
When askd to delete or preserve user setting and prefs we choose to delete them (we did that to assure nothing stuck around that might jeopardize getting this work around going - it may not be necessary)
When that process was complete we downloaded 4.15 from
http://en.stkshop.com/download--download_id-20.html
and installed it.
We could not find 4.15 on the Atmel web site.
After installing 4.15 we used a new MK II. Studio provide a message indicating the firmware in it was out of date but we did not upgrade it fearing killing yet another MK II.

Comments and questions:
- Why is there not more hue and cry from people who lost time and money on this Atmel screw up? It cost our small shop three days of lost development productivity. So larger shops have other ways to program boards? Is there a better way to ISP boards during development than Studio and the Mk II? One that is stable and supported?
- This thread started nearly a year ago. Why is there not a fix to 4.latest for this problem? The MK II continues to be in production. I would venture there are tens of thousands in use. What are we missing that makes is OK for Atmel not to fix this?

Jim

But isn't this issue fixed by SP3 ?

hi
i cant connect to my avrisp mkii with avr studio ver16.im using win 7-64bit.may it has problem with my os? when im trying to connect this message shown"connect failed" what can i do?

Your Studio is two versions and three service packs out of date. Did it really not cross your mind to make sure that your software was up to date?

i downloaded avr studio ver.15 and installed it. but i have same problem with it.and it is up to date.whats the problem with it??

Quote:
i downloaded avr studio ver.15 and installed it
People have problems believing you as the curent version is 4.18 with 3 service packs.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

I also had problems with an AVRISP mkII clone not connecting with AVRStudio V4.18 (actually it's the LUFA XplainBridge), I found some updated Jungo USB drivers on Atmel's beta site:
http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/

Note the text description "Jungo USB installer version 10.2. This installer will fix USB connection issues with AVR Studio 4.18 SP3 and improve Windows 7 64-bit stability.". So there do seem to be issues with 4.18 connecting to AVRISPs...

Curiously this driver created an additional entry in the Jungo section in the Device Manager called 'WinDriver'. I also had an 'AVRISP mkII' entry, and AVRStudio now connects. It does seem to require both entries to work, if I disable either of them there's no connection. HTH.

Mark.

Quote:

Curiously this driver created an additional entry in the Jungo section in the Device Manager called 'WinDriver'.

That's the main Jungo driver kernel. The way the Jungo drivers work is that they all use the same common driver kernel (WinDriver) for the platform, with the device specific portion loaded on top of that. You need both for it to work, and yes, the lack of the WinDriver on x64 used to cause me and other x64 users trouble when installing new tools.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Hi Dean!

Thanks for that explanation. Also thanks for your LUFA work, the XPLAIN Bridge project has saved me several days of development time :)

(BTW I'm the guy who made the last post in your blog about programming external xmegas with your code:
http://fourwalledcubicle.com/blog/2010/02/mein-server/).

This Jungo thing is worth mentioning on your blog I think (along with having to reset the USB chip when loading drivers which is the only other thing that caught me out), there is at least one entry that seemed to be having a similar problem.

Mark.

Help! Wasted many hours today and yesterday reinstalling.

Like others, my 4.18 SP3 installation does not find the programmer, AVRISP mkii. Where can the download v4.15 be found? It seems this is the only fix. Very frustrating.

Have you tried the updated Jungo from www.atmel.no/beta_ware/ ?

WELL, I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY AVRISP mKll..
I GOT STUDIO 4 INSTALLED, I WAS LOOKING AT THE PLUGIN MANAGER, BUT I DON'T SEE THE mKll LISTED ON IT.
I WAS LOOKING AT THE FILES FROM ATMEL(STUDIO4), AND I FOUND OUT THAT THE FILES FOR mKll DON'T EXIST, I LOOKED EVERYWHERE, BUT CAN'T FIND THE FILES FOR ISP TO GET MY ISP WORKING... OBVIOUSLY IF I DON'T HAVE THOSE FILES IT WON'T WORK, I SEE FILES FOR DIFFERENT PROGRAMERS BUT NOT FOR mKll.
I REINSTALLED THE STUDIO4, I EVEN REINSTALLED THE JUNGO, AS IT'S MEANTIONED ON HELP FILES.. BUT NOW I SEE IF THOSE FILES FOR ISP ARE NOT THERE, IT'S NOT GONNA WORK!
SHOULD I DOWNLOAD JUST THE V.16 MENTION ABOVE?

i just downloaded the AVRjungo 10.2. but still can't get connect to my driver...
please help!! :D
HELP.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! :(

I did not see it mentioned in this thread that if you have LibUSB-Win32 installed then Studio won't find the AVRISP-mkII, even if you did upgrade to the latests and greatest Jungo drivers.

This may be case of whichever driver was installed first wins?
I had LibUSB-Win32 installed long ago.

I uninstalled LibUSB-Win32 and then AVRStudio was happy, however AVRDude doesn't work as it relies on the LibUSB-Win32 drivers for USB.

The WinAVR-user-manual has this to say about the issue:

Quote:

LibUSB-Win32 is a USB library that is linked into AVRDUDE and AVaRICE to allow them to connect to the Atmel JTAG ICE mkII and the Atmel AVRISP mkII...

AVR Studio can install and use the USB drivers from Jungo (which is included as part of the AVR Studio installation). However, the Jungo drivers and the LibUSB-Win32 drivers are mutually exclusive; if one set is installed the other set will not work.

You can uninstall the driver by plugging in the device (and making sure it is powered on), use the Device Manager to find and select the device (under Jungo or LibUSB-Win32, depending on which driver is installed), right click and select "Uninstall". Then, install the other driver according to the correct procedures.

LibUSB also has a "filter" driver that is available, however, using this is not recommended by the LibUSB author.

I'm trying to set up a station on my production floor where I need to program many different AVR's, Tiny88 and XMega128A1 among many others. As Atmel has not released the full programming specifications for the XMega [WHY?] I'm stuck using Studio4 (Studio5 has no hope of ever running on the machines supplied by our IT department, to slow and not enough RAM). Everything but the XMega based products are using AVRDude to program them.

What is the solution to getting Jungo and LibUSB to co-exist (Why should the filter driver not be used?)?

I am having a slightly different problem. I would like to use the AVRISP MKII in Studio 4 and Arduino IDE.

I can make the programmer work in one program at a time by loading the correct driver, but I cannot get it to work in both programs without unloading one of the drivers.

Jungo and LibUSB seem to be mutually exclusive. Is there a solution to getting Jungo and LibUSB to co-exist so that I can use both programs with the same programmer?

I am running AVR4 Version 4.19 & Windows7 64bit

I know the thread is old, but for those still lurking for the solution, I'll post the variant, which worked for me (including the versions of software I used).

How to get AVRISP drivers working in
AVR Studio (4.19 Build 730)
Atmel Studio (6.0.1843)
AVRDUDE (WinAVR-20100110)
on Windows (7 64bit):

1) Install AVR Studio
2) Install Atmel Studio
3) Install libusb filtered* driver
4) Unplug USB device, then plug it back (or reboot)

* libusb filtered:
libusb-win32-devel-filter-1.2.6.0.exe
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/files/libusb-win32-releases/1.2.6.0/libusb-win32-devel-filter-1.2.6.0.exe/download

Note:
Other versions of the software probably would work.

Note:
Installing not filtered version of libusb "overwrites" Atmel's drivers. This happened to me and I was too lazy to reinstall the whole Atmel Studio package, so I extracted* the drivers installer (AtmelUSB.exe) from the installer and used "Repair" to install them back.

* To extract files from Atmel Studio installer:
run from command line (cmd.exe):
as6installer-6.0.1843.exe /extract_all:C:\Path_to_some_folder

SOURCEs:

https://avrstudio5.wordpress.com/2012/03/05/atmel-studio-6-manually-installing-atmel-usb-driver-from-the-installer-executable/

http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=468532

Offhand comment. I had to go back to AVR Studio 4.16, for some reason AVR Studio 418 would load code, would show the files in the project, but I couldn't set break points. (And no break point on startup either)

What I found was when installing 4.16 raw on my Win7 64bit machine, something was goofed with the Jungo Drivers for both my JtagIceMkII and AVRIspMkII.

What seemed to work was to let AVR Studio 6 install the drivers, but cancel the install at that point, and then installing AVR Studio 4.16.

Can anyone help, ISP MKII gives an error "target appears to have lost power, or the ISP connector was disconected". I have connected external power supply to microchips VCC pin, and everything connected to programmer (VCC, GND, MISO, MOSI, RESET). Any suggestions?
Thank you for your answers.

Now 2014!!!

I am running Studio at home with no problem.  Using the AVRISP mkII I can read and write to the board.   I installed Studio on a students computer and the AVRISP is not visible!  We are frustrated and have a tight timetable.

HELP

Here are the installation details

Atmel Studio 6 (Version: 6.2.1502 - Service Pack 1)
© 2014 Atmel Corp.
All rights reserved.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
Platform: Win32NT

Installed Packages: Shell VSIX manifest - 6.2
Shell VSIX manifest
Version: 6.2
Package GUID: 5aa6ea3e-da7b-48c1-9b2a-cab2329d32ac
Company: Atmel Corporation

Installed Packages: Atmel ARM GNU Toolchain - 4.8.4.1437
ARM Toolchain
Version: ARM_Toolchain_Version:4.8.4.371 GCC_VERSION:4.8.4