ATtiny417 / ATtiny814 / ATtiny816 / ATtiny817

Go To Last Post
285 posts / 0 new

Pages

Total votes: 0

js wrote:

I vote that the Atchip/Micromel sales department issues a development board to each one of us who posted on this thread just like what Atmel used to do when it used to have a "soul". devil

js wrote:

My idea from #7 http://www.avrfreaks.net/comment... (last paragraph) is still a pretty good one for me.cheeky

After all WE are providing free support.

That's an excellent idea. I happen to have a box of 35 Tiny817 Xplained Minis heading my direction, and will distribute to those already active in this thread (~20 people). For the rest of the kits, any constructive comments about the tiny817 will be awarded. 

Everyone already in the thread, please PM me your shipping address and I will send out the kits ASAP. For new posts I will PM you and ask for your address.

PS: I'm not sales, so please don't treat me as such (I have a soul) :P

Last Edited: Tue. Nov 1, 2016 - 02:03 PM

Rats! The one thread I kept my nebby beak out of :-(

clawson wrote:

LOL -- I couldn't remember so had to search the thread.  But I poked in there.  ;)

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Total votes: 1

Perhaps we should make a plan over different TUT's, to get this up running.

Compared to other AVR's it's kind of a oddball. (a little from everywhere)

clawson wrote:

I think there is a special clause that says that moderators will get one - at least there is now :)

Send me a PM with your address

OK PM sent however I'm not sure if AS7 supports the chip/board yet?

Oh dear I just realised I have to use AS7......... devil

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Oh, it does support it. Don't worry about that. :-)

This chip looks great on paper and I'm looking forward to play with it. PM sent smiley

Oh, it does support it

I see that build 1118 supports it??

Atmel Studio 7.0.1188

The following changes are done in Atmel Studio 7.0.1188:

• Added support for new AVR8X architecture

I have a few versions behind on my laptop (build 934) , I'll wait until the packs issue has been fixed before updating.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

I am waiting until hell freezes over... devil

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

Total votes: 1

It did this night... 

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Ross it's all about global WARMING not cooling like they used to tell us 40 years or so ago.

So how do you plan to use your brand new ATTINY817-mini? I guess you can wait until BASCOM adds support for it.

Anyway AS7 is safely confined to my laptop inside a Faraday cage and 8" concrete bunker, surely it can't be causing much trouble. cheeky

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

@John. I might just have to bring my caravan up your way and inspect your bunker. Remember that 40 years ago I was working at the Bureau and designing/making drifting buoys to measure sea temps that helped develop all of those predictions. So blame me if you must! cheeky

@Morten. I love that graph and have screen captured that image for future use. Excellent!

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

valusoft wrote:
I am waiting until hell freezes over...
js wrote:
Ross it's all about global WARMING not cooling like they used to tell us 40 years or so ago.

As with nearly all topics on AVRfreaks, this one has already been brought up, discussed, and consensus reached.  In this case, Hell has already frozen over...

http://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/t...

Some questions about these chips:

1 does the rjmp/rcall reach all 8k as normal 8 k devices?

2 I'm still not sure if the 32 registers are memory mapped.

this indicate they are:

And this they aren't

billed2

But like always a lot of guessing when you read the datasheet's, nothing seems to have improved there.

sparrow2 wrote:

2 I'm still not sure if the 32 registers are memory mapped.

I say they are not:

Looking at the peripheral module address map (section 7.1 in the datasheet), VPORTA/B/C and other stuff are placed from address 0 onwards.

And to my delight, I see that they have also added some general purpose I/O registers. A feature I use quite often in the XMega line. Directly addressable single-bit values for status flags or similar.

I'm quite sure the registers aren't memory mapped. Right after fig. 9-4, it says:

The register file is located in a separate address space, so the registers are not accessible as data memory.

To me, this means they are outside the unified address space, and therefore cannot be accessed with memory instructions sad

Does anyone know about the new program/debug interface  for these, UPDI (that I take is similar, but not quite equal to PDI)?

The Xplained Mini boards have their own debugger, but I am thinking a little further ahead to where I may start to use these new Tinys in my own circuits. Will existing programmers/debuggers be updated to support the UPDI?

I currently have a JTAGICE3, but as that is now superseded by Atmel-ICE I fear that I am out of luck.

Svuppe wrote:

Does anyone know about the new program/debug interface  for these, UPDI (that I take is similar, but not quite equal to PDI)?

The Xplained Mini boards have their own debugger, but I am thinking a little further ahead to where I may start to use these new Tinys in my own circuits. Will existing programmers/debuggers be updated to support the UPDI?

I currently have a JTAGICE3, but as that is now superseded by Atmel-ICE I fear that I am out of luck.

Since UPDI seems to be fully documented, I was thinking someone could program, let's say, an arduino nano to translate stk500 to UPDI and act as programmer. Then we could use avrdude to program these new chips.

শূন্য  - The ZeRo

The interface is defined in the datasheet (chapter 34). The tool support plan is STK600 and all current generations. That includes Power Debugger, Atmel-ICE, mEDBG, EDBG and JTAGICE3 (so you're in luck with that one). Pinout in the debugger user guides are still on the pending list smiley

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Lots of "interesting" questions.  Has anyone yet determined how many bytes are in the USERROW?  Hint:  It is one extra EEPROM page.  Indirect digging finds it in I/O space at 0x1300.  Translate this:

7. The writable area has a size of one EEPROM page, byte, and it is only possible to write User Row
data to the first 32 byte addresses of the RAM. Addressing outside this memory range will result in
a non executed write. The data will map 1:1 with the User Row space, when the data is copied into
the User Row upon completion of the Programming sequence

Aha!  Found it with a search for "page size"; 32B:

eRony wrote:
In Production!

In Production, eh?