Atmel Studio 7.0.1645

Go To Last Post
67 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 2

It's that time of the year, the next release of Atmel Studio is finally done (yes, copy-paste from the previous post).

The readme/release note contains most of the info, so without further ado:

Most notable bugs that are fixed:

• AVRSV-7798: Tiny817 fuse programming from ELF issue.
  • AVRSV-7903: Studio automatically sets GPNVM bits [7:8] thereby enabling TCM
  • AVRSV-7892: Writing SAML22 RWW flash fails
  • AVRSV-7883: Incorrect warning message for KB2978092 during installation of AS 7.0.1417
  • AVRSV-7854: NaN values not handled by atprogram
  • AVRSV-7911: Problems reading device ID on ATmega4809

Do note that if you use QTouch, you need to upgrade the QTouch Composer extension from the Extension Manager when upgrading to this version.

GCC Updates:

• AVR 8-bit GCC Toolchain 3.6.1.
  • ARM GCC Toolchain 6.3.1 with upstream versions:
    • gcc (ARM/embedded-6-branch revision 249437), GNU ARM Embedded Toolchain: 6-2017-q2-update

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Last Edited: Sun. Oct 29, 2017 - 12:48 AM
Total votes: 0

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

meolsen wrote:
AVRSV-7883: Incorrect warning message for KB2978092 during installation of AS 7.0.1417

Horray!

(-:

"He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack, or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track. Oh the engineers would see him sitting in the shade, Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made. People passing by, they would stop and say, "Oh, my, what that little country boy could play!" [Chuck Berry]

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

meolsen wrote:
GCC Updates:

• AVR 8-bit GCC Toolchain 3.6.1.
Is there an update of the FOSS link in-work?

http://distribute.atmel.no/tools/opensource/Atmel-AVR-GNU-Toolchain/

Thanks!

Total votes: 1

Of course, but again this will take some more time (microchip.com will also be updated, eventuallysmiley)

meolsen wrote:
AVRSV-7883: Incorrect warning message for KB2978092 during installation of AS 7.0.1417

Does that include the KB2999226 issue noted here: http://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...?

No, we still need that one...

meolsen wrote:
No, we still need that one...

Oh.. The I subtract at least the "Horr" from my "Horray"... ;-)

"He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack, or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track. Oh the engineers would see him sitting in the shade, Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made. People passing by, they would stop and say, "Oh, my, what that little country boy could play!" [Chuck Berry]

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Awww, you're no fun anymore smiley

Nope. Typically Swedish. (Tråkiga jävlar - ikke noen Göy tilstede..)

Well, the installation succeeded.  The shortcut icon is a blank page on my toolbar.  It doesnt look like a Ladybug.  Now let's see if everything works.

I restarted my machine and now the icon looks like a Ladybug.

I restarted my machine and now the icon looks like a Ladybug.

Un-pinning from the task bar then re-pinning to the task bar resolved that issue for me.  

Greg Muth

Portland, OR, US

Atmel Studio 7.0 on Windows 10

Xplained/Pro/Mini Boards mostly

Morten,

can you also add a link to the full download in your initial post, then with the copying that will be there for all future copy and paste updates.

thanks

Thanks motion,

but hope that Meolsen will add it to his initial post, so that when he does updates again, this link will also be "automatically" there.

First run had error opening project:

Value cannot be null. Parameter name: url

And only "Import Arduino sketch" was available in create new project.

Solution: Close AtmelStudio after first run after the install, reopen.

Should we expect some sort of notification from Microchip that there are updates to Atmel Studio, or do we just have to check the Microchip website around this time of year or hope we see a post here like this one from Morton? 

Or do we really think this is the last update to Atmel Studio we will ever see?

What? The update notification in Studio is there... The websites are in the process of updating...Do you want a telegram as well?

MarkThomas wrote:
Or do we really think this is the last update to Atmel Studio we will ever see?
I vote no though I'm Visual Studio centric.

• Defect corrections
  • ASF3 is still alive
  • New features (one poster wants an off-line ASF4 for configuration control)
  • Updated GCC usually means new switches
  • (assumption) newer versions of Visual Studio Isolated Shell

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/extensibility/shell/visual-studio-isolated-shell

meolsen wrote:
Do you want a telegram as well?

A telegram would be nice, or a notification of updates like I get from Window Updates, or an email to my Microchip account.  I went to the Atmel Studio download page on the Microchip website and build 1417 is the only one available.  I dont see where the new version is mentioned.  Sorry, I have a hard time with the Microchip website.

The page is not updated yet. There's a flag in the top right corner in studio telling you about the update...

I understand the website is being updated, so the new version not being on the download page is understandable.  But when I search on Atmel Studio 7 I cant find anything about a new version.  I dont know the web site very well.  Where would I find said notification?  A URL?

When I first downloaded AS7 from Atmel I had to log in to my account.  It would be cool if that account email address would get a notification of changes to AS.  I have signed up for weekly change notifications for several products on the Microchip site, but I couldn't seem to add Atmel Studio to the list I would like updates for.  I only saw hardware products.

Dont get mad at me, Morton.  I am not  one  of the geniuses here.  Just a typical experienced developer in C and C++.

mark

OH, OK i see the flag.  Was wondering what it was about.  I take back all my complaints.  Sorry Morton.

mark

The new Atmel Studio uses much less memory on my little 10" 2GB machine.  Maybe it is due to my not including the ASF plugin, but I am pleased it uses a reasonable amount of memory instead of almost all I have.  Good work Morton.

MarkThomas wrote:

Should we expect some sort of notification from Microchip that there are updates to Atmel Studio

The upgrades notification flag in the previous AtmelStudio is lighting up and displaying it.

It is sensible to stagger a release anyway, rather than exposing everyone to a bug which may have to be patched with another version shortly after.

Last Edited: Thu. Oct 26, 2017 - 12:13 AM

Phew, this one went smoothly, it only took me 3 reinstalls to get the new version workingcheeky I had to delete every last configuration file from the old version, or it would fail to open any projects, complaining about corrupt toolchains or whatever.

El Tangas, are you using Windows 10? 

No, I use Windows 7, and will keep using it until I'm forced to change.

Yeah, me too.

Hi Morten, The installation was perfect on Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 OS Build 16299.19.  Seems to run faster and definitely uses less resources.  Good job.  Now if you guys make a Visual Studio Code extension you would make my day.

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." - Marcus Aurelius               

That was fast, thanks.  Does this allow calling up Visual Studio Code from within the IDE itself, say by double clicking on a source file name?

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." - Marcus Aurelius               

larryvc wrote:
Now if you guys make a Visual Studio Code extension you would make my day.
Concur

Different tack -

Another "make my day" is Atmel Studio in Microsoft Store.

Reasons :

• Windows 10 Enterprise in S Mode
  • Windows 10 S
  • Microsoft Surface Laptop
  • Low price notebook PC for students, schools (secondary, post-secondary), and libraries
  • When Arduino via Microsoft Store is not enough (iow when need an Atmel-ICE)

http://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/atmel-studio-701416701417?page=1#comment-2295131

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-laptop/overview

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/devices/default.aspx

http://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/arduino-windows-10-s

Never fixed the "Add as Link" bug introduced in AS 7.x :-((

Last Edited: Sun. Oct 29, 2017 - 04:26 AM

That was fast, thanks.  Does this allow calling up Visual Studio Code from within the IDE itself, say by double clicking on a source file name?

Huh? No...? It's a debug extension that hooks onto the debug backend from Atmel Studio.

I realize that was the purpose of the extension that you provided.  I was hinting that you could give us an editor extension to Visual Studio Code from within the ASDE bypassing the internal editor altogether, wish list item.

Hehe, Pull Requests are always welcome...

Pull Requests

As in "pull the other leg"?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

js wrote:

Pull Requests

As in "pull the other leg"?

Pull a rabbit out of a hat

M0+ debugging (at least SAMD20s) may be broken with this update. Refuses to write fuses or write memory in debug. Older version works fine :/

Last Edited: Mon. Oct 30, 2017 - 06:12 PM

My D20 XPRO works fine in a quick test. Tried fuse writes from the prog dialog, and modifying flash while in debug.

Can you send me (PM)  %appdata%/Atmel/Studi/7.0/...ApplicationStatus.log  after a session where fuse write fails ? Same for memory write failure.

Best regards,

Dan (Studio team)

Sent PM. Might be related to using the SAM-ICE over other debuggers? The SAM-ICE was broken before in Studio updates early on :/

I have a second computer which never had studio on it encountering the same error with 1645.

I installed this thing (1645) from Microchip.  The good news is it only downloaded 80 megabytes, or so it seems.  Normally it downloads terabytes.

The bad news is, Microchip apparently embedded a Trojan. It won't load a project unless I give it admin privileges.  What do I do now?

I should mention I installed it on a backup/test machine.  My primary computer has 1417.  I can usually get that one to work although sometimes is likes to fool around with my files.  I use folders and I add files with links.  This new version seems to do a better job of that but I don't want to run it with admin privileges.

Last Edited: Wed. Nov 1, 2017 - 03:00 PM

steve17 wrote:

It won't load a project unless I give it admin privileges.  What do I do now?

Could you share what is the error you are getting during project load?

Regards,

Charles

Oh, I know this one, happened to me when I updated to the new version. I had to uninstall AS7, cleanup any remaining configuration and log files in programdata, appdata/local, appdata/roaming, clean the registry, well, you get the picture, leave no traces of the previous install.

I'm not sure exactly which "remains" are responsible, but after the cleanup, a fresh install worked.

edit: just to make that clear, you don't need to delete your projects (well, I didn't have to).

edit 2: I see you also have problems with admin privilege. I also had that problem. You need to install AS7 logged in the admin account, if you install from a user account, even if you give the admin password, it will not work properly in user mode.

edit 3: Ah, we already discussed these issues before: www.avrfreaks.net/forum/need-hel...

Last Edited: Fri. Nov 3, 2017 - 02:23 AM

After upgrading to 1645, do you need to go into the Device Pack Manager and check all the ones you want to install/upgrade?  I opened a project and it prompted to update.  I did find where you could set the project to use the latest version.

Last Edited: Fri. Nov 3, 2017 - 03:25 AM

It's weird.  It works okay with admin permissions.  It seems like Studio can't access something because it doesn't have permission.   Maybe I could go to the Atmel folders and give me permission for everything inside them.

Last Edited: Fri. Nov 3, 2017 - 04:25 AM

I don't use any device packs.  I don't use ASF.  Basically all I need is the toolchain for AVR8.  I didn't have this problem with an earlier version of Studio 7.

Well maybe I do use device packs.  I have to specify a device but I was thinking that was for the debugger.  

Last Edited: Fri. Nov 3, 2017 - 04:49 AM

I don't use any device packs. 

Yes you do when

need is the toolchain for AVR8

so you need to install the device pack for the 8 bit AVR.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Pages