Atmel Studio 7 (Version 7.0.1645) Debugger Not Working

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi, I just installed AS7 and I'm connected to my STK500.  I'm using the Attiny13A and loaded basic code to flash two leds.

My goal is to explore the debugger and become accustomed to how if works.  I did add a breakpoint but it appears the debugger isn't responding to my request.

My leds keep flashing on the STK500.  In the "Solutions Configuration" I did select 'Debug' followed by "Start Debugging and Break (Alt-F5)".

Can someone advise me how to move forward?

Thanks,

Brian

Attachment(s): 

pcbbydesign wrote:
I'm connected to my STK500
pcbbydesign wrote:
explore the debugger
STK500 is a PROGRAMMING interface, not a debugger so the only "debugger" that's going to be available to you is the simulator

BTW for the benefit of others the attached PDF is basically this picture:

That's good to know.  Thank you.

From this information, I selected 'Tools> Device Programming> Tool> Simulator> ATTiny13A> Apply'.

I tried debug but it still didn't work.

Can you advice what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

pcbbydesign wrote:
but it still didn't work.
What do you mean by "didn't work"?

As the manual says this is how you start debugging:

http://www.atmel.com/webdoc/atme...

For C code that should automatically break at the start of main() and you should see a yellow arrow to the left hand side that shows the "current location" when it does break.

BTW when using the simulator you will want to remove those delay loops. In simulation the "AVR" behaves as if it is clocked at about 50kHz so that delays that are "quick" at 1/2/4/8MHz are going to feel like a lifetime in simulation!

With further investigation I found the following:

I selected 'Debug>Properties>Selected debugger/programmer>Simulator'.   ('Selected debugger/programmer' was set to STK500, and then I selected Simulator).

From this point I was able to use the debugger and step through the code.  I did observe the yellow arrow to the left hand side that shows the "current location".

Thanks for the help,

Brian