Atmel Studio 6.1 EVK1100 DFU USB Programming

Go To Last Post
11 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I wanted to pass on what I learned from trying to use my EVK1100 with Atmel Studio 6.1. After trying everything I could think of I was unable to get my EVK1100 to be seen as a tool under Atmel Studio 6.1. After repeated attempts to get the usb device to be recognized in Windows 7 x64 I found a couple of posts regarding the FLIP programmer http://www.atmel.com/tools/flip.aspx. I also found references that DFU programming is not supported in 6.1. The solution was to install the latest version of FLIP. Next Update the driver for the Unknown Device that is the EVK1100 under windows device manager by pointing windows to the driver located in

c:\program files(x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\usb

Now in windows device manager when the EVK1100 is in DFU mode (hold joystick on power up) it is displayed as an ATMEL USB Device AT32UC3A. The program "Flip" is not what is used to program the device but rather BatchISP that is included with flip. To automate this in Atmel Studio we can use the "External Tools" options and create a new tool. i named my new tool DFU Program. I then set the Command to be

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\bin\Batchisp.exe

. I Set Arguments to be

-device at32uc3a0512 -hardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer "$(TargetPath)" program verify start reset 0

Initial Dirctory to be

$(TargetDir)

I then placed a check in

Use Output Window

Atmel studio will replace the $(TargetPath) with the ELF file path when it is run so it will use the correct file.

Now under tools I click DFUProgram and in the output window I get

Running batchisp 1.2.5 on Wed Feb 05 14:51:16 2014 

AT32UC3A0512 - USB - USB/DFU 

Device selection....................... PASS  
Hardware selection..................... PASS  
Opening port........................... PASS  
Reading Bootloader version............. PASS     1.0.0 
Erasing................................ PASS  
Selecting FLASH........................ PASS  
Blank checking......................... PASS     0x00000     0x7ffff 
Parsing ELF file....................... PASS     C:\Users\adevries\Documents\Atmel Studio\6.1\DIP204_EXAMPLE1\DIP204_EXAMPLE1\Debug\DIP204_EXAMPLE1.elf 
Programming memory 
WARNING: The user program and the bootloader overlap! 
Programming memory..................... PASS     0x00000     0x0332b 
Verifying memory....................... PASS     0x00000     0x0332b 
Starting Application................... PASS     RESET     0 

Summary:  Total 11   Passed 11   Failed 0

Hope this helps others at took me way to long just to get a example application running in Atmel Studio 6.1. Not sure why they seemed to have dropped support for the EVK1100 already but was disappointed I couldn't use it without a bunch of R&D

This was a clever and easy fix to add USB programming of the EVK1100 in AVR Studio 6.1.

It is kind of lame of Atmel to not support this out-of-the-box since they link to the latest version of AVR Studio from the Atmel EVK1100 information page on atmel.com. :?

One small difference that I noticed in the Device Manager is that my device was listed as libusb (WinUSB) devices > AT32UC3A

This might be because I had already installed Flip when setting up the board with AVR32 Studio or because I am using Windows 8 or something... Anyways, it worked.

Thanks again for the write-up :D

This support is on our wish list, but it is currently unscheduled :(

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Are there any plans to fix the example EVK1100 projects included with Atmel Studio 6.1 SP2 so they actually work. Everyone I have tried builds fine but doesn't work on the EVK1100 yet loading the elf from here works (http://www.atmel.com/System/Base...) just find so I know the EVK1100 is fine. This was such a great little dev kit in the past but kind of worthless now with out loading Windows XP on an old machine and using the old AVR32 tool to write code.

Have no idea, I have nothing to do with example code :-D

I have done all settings as given above.I am working with EVK1100 & Atmel Studio 6.1

Output required for below code when joystick press for Right,Left,Up,Down LEDs should glow. But this is not happening when I download with Atmel Studio.If I download it with AVR32 Studio it is perfectly working
What is the problem may be? Where I went wrong?

// Include Files
#include "board.h"

/* TODO: Add software framework include drivers below */
//#include "gpio.h"
//#include "adc.h"

int main(void) {

/* TODO: replace this comment with your code */
AVR32_GPIO.port[0].gpers = ((1 <<25)|(1 <<26)|(1 <<27)|(1 <<28));

AVR32_GPIO.port[1].gpers = ((1 <<27)|(1 <<28)|(1 <<29)); //enable GPIO control
AVR32_GPIO.port[1].oders = ((1 <<27)|(1 <<28)|(1 <<29)); //enable output driver
AVR32_GPIO.port[1].ovrs = ((1 <<27)|(1 <<28)|(1 <<29)); //set pin

while(1)
{
if ((AVR32_GPIO.port[0].pvr >> 25) & 0x01)
{
// The pin is cleared.
AVR32_GPIO.port[1].ovrc = 1 << 27;
}
else
{
// The pin is set
AVR32_GPIO.port[1].ovrs = 1 << 27;
}
if ((AVR32_GPIO.port[0].pvr >> 26) & 0x01)
{
// The pin is cleared.
AVR32_GPIO.port[1].ovrc = 1 << 28;
}
else
{
// The pin is set
AVR32_GPIO.port[1].ovrs = 1 << 28;
}
if ((AVR32_GPIO.port[0].pvr >> 27) & 0x01)
{
// The pin is cleared.
AVR32_GPIO.port[1].ovrc = 1 << 29;
}
else
{
// The pin is set
AVR32_GPIO.port[1].ovrs = 1 << 29;
}

}

return 0;
}

Thank you so much for posting this workaround. Like others here, Device Mangler showed Atmel USB Devices/AT32UC3A was present, but AS6.2 couldn't see it.

You rock! Even 3 years later, Atmel hasn't added USB programming functionality into Atmel Studio (7). This was so helpful for getting my EVK1100 back in action for some hobby work. Thank you thank you!

... yes we have for Atmel DFU protocols... (Does it not work for you?)

I couldn't get it to work without installing flip separately and adding the custom tool above. Maybe I did something wrong on my end before though.

When the kit is in DFU mode, it should appear in Atmel Studio without needing Flip...