Atmel-ICE programming time ~20s for 208 pages

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi all,

Just wondering if some people can confirm that my PC taking about 20s to write 208 pages to a SAMB11 (ARM Cortex-M0) module is reasonable?

As I'm finding debugging like this very slow.

The Interface settings show the SWD Clock  is set to 2MHz which is the maximum according to the Atmel-ICE documentation:

Debug sessions on SAM target devices over the SWD interface can be clocked at up to ten times the CPU clock (but limited to 2MHz max).

I'm finding it hard to verify that the Atmel-ICE is connected to my Windows 7 PC with a 2.0 USB connection.

Also if this is reasonable, does anyone have any tips when working with this limitation?

Thanks in advance.

This topic has a solution.
Last Edited: Mon. Jul 18, 2016 - 05:27 AM

Not AVR related. I'll move it to the ARM forum.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Thanks John!

This reply has been marked as the solution. 
Total votes: 1

A message forwarded from an Atmel representative said my experience is normal.  See below for the response.  It seems the stand alone programming speed can be sped up by using SambFlashTool.exe but this doesn't help when debugging.

By default, when SAMB11 is programmed from Atmel studio, the programming time for different image sizes observed are as below, 

Image size No of pages Approximate time(in seconds) 
i) 32 kB 128 11 
ii) 60 kB 240 21 
iii) 64 kB 256 22 

The programming time of the SAMB11 could be decreased by configuring the SWD clock speed at the maximum - 10MHz from the Command line tool. The following command could be used to program the device from command line, 

The tool(SambFlashTool.exe) should be available in the relative path from the directory where Atmel studio is installed - usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\packs\atmel\SAMB11_DFP\2.2.183\tools 

Open Command line from the above path and run the command as shown above. Ensure that the IMAGE_PATH in the command line has the path to the .img file generated from the project(..\BATTERY_INFO_SAMB11_XPLAINED_PRO1\Debug\BATTERY_INFO_SAMB11_XPLAINED_PRO1.img). 

After increasing the SWD interface speed to 10 Mhz, we could able to see the decrease in programming time as below by testing with SAMB11 XPRO boards. 

Image size No of pages Approximate time(in seconds) 
i) 32 kB 128 3.8 
ii) 64 kB 256 7.5