Atmel dev board promotion

Last post
165 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 0

Atmel has a promotion going where they're selling the STK500 plus the Dragon together for $49. I'd been planning on buying a single STK500 for $79, so I was pretty blown away and I ended up buying two of these bundles from Digi-Key yesterday. So, if my brain didn't explode, I could work on 4 projects at once.

Apparently, this hasn't been promoted aggressively yet. I was actually the very first person to buy this bundle.

I suppose this means a new dev board could be in the works and Atmel is trying to dump their stock of the current boards.

> So, if my brain didn't explode, I could work on 4 projects at once.

Well, to have fun, leave it at two projects. The "development area"
of the Dragon is just an add-on only and cannot match with the options
the STK500 is offering you. OTOH, once you learned love the emulation
features of the Dragon, you wouldn't want to develop much on an STK500
without having the Dragon to debug it there.

It has been discussed here before, both together are really a nice bundle
(unless, of course, you have to handle AVRs with > 32 KiB of ROM, where
you need the genuine JTAG ICE).

Jörg Wunsch

Please don't send me PMs, use email if you want to approach me personally.
Please read the `General information...' article before.

Well they had this offer before Christmas and a number of people benefitted - but it's GREAT if it's back again! (but I fear Digikey shippingto Europe will be high and I'll bet it's a US only thing)

Dumping non-RoHS stock certainly sounds like the most likley motive.

EDIT: Yup, had a look at ordering two sets - its $57 for delivery to the UK - then there'll be import duty and VAT. Still a bargain - two STK500, two Dragon for $157 - question is: do I or don't I? (44th birthday tomorrow so maybe I do)

Quote:
It has been discussed here before, both together are really a nice bundle
(unless, of course, you have to handle AVRs with > 32 KiB of ROM, where
you need the genuine JTAG ICE).
Digikey also has this: AVRDEVKIT2-ND = BUNDLE ATSTK500 + ATJTAGICE2 for $150 ?

Martin.

It's interesting, when you look at the description for ATJTAGICE2 it says "Contains Lead, RoHS Non-Compliant". I'm kind of suprised by that - I thought it was modern enough to have been a RoHS design. But this does seem to suggests that it is dumping non-RoHS stuff that may be behind this

Perhaps these offers should come with a health warning? ;)

Cliff

Cliff: Oh yes... [big red label] WARNING: USING ATJTAGICE2 MAY LEAD TO LEAD POISONING! USE AT OWN RISK!

There are pointy haired bald people.
Time flies when you have a bad prescaler selected.

> USING ATJTAGICE2 MAY LEAD TO LEAD POISONING! USE AT OWN RISK!

Nope, rather:

EATING ATJTAGICE2 MAY LEAD TO LEAD POISONING! USE AT OWN RISK!

Jörg Wunsch

Please don't send me PMs, use email if you want to approach me personally.
Please read the `General information...' article before.

clawson wrote:
44th birthday tomorrow ...

Cliff,

As it is "tomorrow" here right now ("at the third stroke it will be" Cliff's birthday).

Happy birthday from Down Under!

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

There have been rumours of the new-generation STK500 for years. I hope that they don't dump it entirely and suggest the Dragon as the substitute. I rarely use the DIP sockets, but often use the variable Vtarget for testing---VTG is very close to the setting in 'Studio, and it is very convenient to ramp up and down to test at different levels.

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

daqq wrote:
MAY LEAD TO LEAD POISONING!

==================================
How could anyone ever learn English, full of words like this spelled the same, pronounced differently, meaning different things?

Imagecraft compiler user

bobgardner wrote:
How could anyone ever learn English, full of words like this spelled the same, pronounced differently, meaning different things?

This is why the say it's the second most complicated language to learn after Chinese as there are so many context sensitive nuances and exceptions to standard grammar rules. It's just a shame for the rest of the world that our imperialist past means that about half of them are forced to try and understand it! (including US in fact - though I think they've almost got the hang of it now ;) )

Cliff

valusoft wrote:
Happy birthday from Down Under!

Many thanks from an old man.

Contest: be the first to tell us what these words are called that are spelled the same, pronounced differently? (I know, but it took me a long time to find it... no prize... I'm too poor)

Imagecraft compiler user

Homographs - but it took a bit of googling to refresh my memory as the last time I heard that was about 33 years ago when I was being taught English grammar

There's also homophones and homonyms which are kind of related.

Isn't it interesting that there are folks who actually discuss this on dedicated message boards:

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/frequently-asked-questions/2302-words-sound-alike-but-spelled-differently.html

Quote:

Uhm, it's correct isn't it? I fortunately learned it as a kid 'cause my dad studied (and later taugh) in the States. But I'm not sure about the grammar part...

There are pointy haired bald people.
Time flies when you have a bad prescaler selected.

Glad I read the post. I just ordered (from Digi-Key) the $49(US) bundle. Now I will have a backup STK500 and the Dragon.
PS: Read is another of those english words that can have different meanings

I'll believe corporations
are people when Texas executes one.

tubecut wrote:
Glad I read the post. I just ordered (from Digi-Key) the $49(US) bundle. Now I will have a backup STK500 and the Dragon.

When I looked this past Sunday, the pricing had CALL and it showed zero in stock. Having a backup STK500, I elected to just order my Dragon and forego the STK500.

What I should have done was, order two Dragons. Oh well, there will be a "Next Time".

Carl W. Livingston, KC5OTL
microcarl@roadrunner.com

"There are only two ways to sleep well at night... be ignorant or be prepared."

The original Dragon Slayer !

Long live the AVR!!!

Carl, I just ordered the part and , according to sales, was in stock. The digi-key web site showed Qty One. So, I am not sure if I got the last one or not. I have never used JTAG before except on a MicroChip product and it had a slow update. I am hoping that the Dragon will allow in circuit debugging with not a lot of problems. I have read several post and it seems there are problems (?) using the Dragon. Oh well. I will soon see.

Quote:
Digikey also has this: AVRDEVKIT2-ND = BUNDLE ATSTK500 + ATJTAGICE2 for $150

if thats real a jtagice2 for half price is a great deal!
thanks for the heads up...ordered the one remaining ATdevkit2-nd in stock...

Although the ATdevkit2-nd shows no more stock they do have over 100 of the ATSTK500 and over a hundred of the ATJTAGICE2 in stock..so just maybe if one backorders them they will CREATE a ATdevkit2-nd from available inventory...

tubecut..I believe the good thing about that dragon bundle you ordered is that the 6 pin jumper cable you need for the Dragon for DBW is included in the STK500 kit (not sure) and like many others have found out is missing from the Dragon by itself! So you may be ready to go when you get it...

tubecut wrote:

Huh? In my "book" it only has two tenses, present and past....not different meanings, unless you might be confusing it with "reed".

But who am I to dispute it.... :roll:

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

Update on the $49.00 purchase. Late yesterday evening I received a call from Digi-Key. I was told , sorry, but the parts are not in stock. It was indicated that about a week before the parts are in .

I've got a question pending with DigiKey about the same issue. The part 'AVRDEVKIT1-ND' is listed for €37.98, but not on stock. I have not head back from them yet (asked on Wednesday).

Markus

Markus

I too ran into the AVRDEVKIT1-ND stk500/jtag mkii kit when I was looking for just a jtag mkii. Funny how an MKii costs $300, but the kit costs $150. I ignored it and just assumed it was some sort of glitch in Digi-Key. Is that for real? They're showing no stock unfortunately.

No- not a glitch.... it's for real. In this case, Digikey is probably waiting for non-ROHS units to come in from Atmel. It looks like a simple day-to-day wait at this point. I have my order in, and am willing to wait for the backorder to fill.

rjbishop wrote:
No- not a glitch.... it's for real. In this case, Digikey is probably waiting for non-ROHS units to come in from Atmel. It looks like a simple day-to-day wait at this point. I have my order in, and am willing to wait for the backorder to fill.

So as earlier suggested - could Atmel be clearing out old stock? We've all heard the rumors of replacing the STK500. Could they also be looking to replace the JTAG MKII?

Well everyone is having to move to RoHS and the STK500 and JTAGICEmkII are no less likely to be subject to this than anything else if the current designs aren't RoHS compliant. Otherwise Atmel have to say goodbye to the possibility of selling those items at all in Europe and I doubt they'd want to maintain to different build lines - one for the RoHS markets and one for the rest of the world.

Quote:
I too ran into the AVRDEVKIT1-ND stk500/jtag mkii kit when I was looking for just a jtag mkii. Funny how an MKii costs $300, but the kit costs $150. I ignored it and just assumed it was some sort of glitch in Digi-Key. Is that for real? They're showing no stock unfortunately.

I think I got the last one...it shipped this week so it is real...

Although the ATDEVKIT2-ND shows no more stock they do have over 100 of the ATSTK500 and over a hundred of the ATJTAGICE2 in stock..so just maybe if one decides to backorder the ATDEVKIT2-ND, Digikey will CREATE a ATDEVKIT2-ND from the available instock inventory...it really is only two individual items sold with probably some discount CODE/Rebate from ATMEL paid back to the distributor.
If you want a JtagICE2 for $150 savings what do you have to loose?
They either ship it or not!!!

I just wish digikey wasn't the only option for getting these kind of deals.... like... why can't Mouser have them, too?

sure, it's fine if you live in the USA. but digikey shipping rates to australia are nuts. As a result, we order pretty much everything that we could get from digikey, from mouser. except mouser don't seem to stock AVR accessories...

meh.

anyway - I have a jtagice mk2 for work, and recently bought an avr dragon for home. I guess I don't need anything else for now..
:-)

Just ordered my JTAG ICE MKII and STK500 :) from Digikey. Even though shipping prices are equally ridicolous for INDIA as they are for Antarctica but then there is no choice :( left for an AVR freak here.

It said 0 available in stock but when u view your order then you can click on the backorder link and it says since it is a promotion they will combine different parts and ship them together :). So please dont back off if you see 0 available quantity.

Eat LEAD :P

Yep- don't let the backorder scare you. I put in my order for AVRDEVKIT2 on Thursday, and it was shipped on Friday afternoon.

A number of people have questioned whether the deal is real or whether stock is out. Here's my experience. When I first saw the item, I too thought it was some kind of glitch. I almost thought it would be ripping Digi-Key off to push a sale through.

I called Digi-Key to inquire. The salesperson didn't know what the kit was and thought the lead time was 8 weeks. However, she put me through to a tech who called Atmel directly to get the details and verify pricing. The price on the web was $61.25, but Atmel came back and said the price should be lowered to $49! Also, Atmel verified that the kit is nothing more than an STK500 and a Dragon, with nothing added or subtracted, so it only requires that Digi-Key pull both items to make the kit. Then after some further investigation, the salesperson found that there were people in Digi-Key's warehouse already pulling STK500 and Dragons for the bundles and setting up their database and sales system to be able to sell the kits. They couldn't ship the kits until this was done because it "would screw up their whole system," as I was told. My order shipped the following day, after they'd done whatever setup they needed to do.

So, I think it's real.

shadaba wrote:

It said 0 available in stock but when u view your order then you can click on the backorder link and it says since it is a promotion they will combine different parts and ship them together :). So please dont back off if you see 0 available quantity.

Eat LEAD :P

yes, I was tricked by this before and didnt happen to click the "value add" link (because I thought it meant add another or something stupid like that).

Oh well my order is in now, thanks :)

btw 218 dragons and 85 stk500s in stock atm.

I called Digi-Key and asked about the AVRDEVKIT2-ND deal. They said lead time is about 1 week and that it is a special 3-month promotion from Atmel.

Man that is sweet.

My order has just been shipped :D .. even though it costs me 194$ including shipping and all .. i am very happy .. i was infact planning to buy JTAG ICE MK2 anyway . and free STK500 with it not bad to keep as a spare kit :) ... saved more than 200$ :)

I was also in the position of needing a new JTAGICE mkII soon anyway. So I ordered the kit too. It also shipped today, despite being marked as being on "value add" backorder on Friday.

Just a note that Digikey lists both bundles as ROHS compliant, so clearing old (!!) inventory doesn't check out as the reason for this change. My own suspicion is that new products are on the way ... a devboard based on an at90usb1286 USB link would work directly with a lot more hosts nowadays than one using RS232, and given the Dragon clearly the JTAGICE mkII can clearly be cost-reduced by quite a lot, especially if you're willing to be USB-only. High speed USB could speed things up too, and maybe there are AVR32 products that could use more than the mkII offers. Me, I'm soon to try AVR32 studio on Linux. ;)

Just speculation in good fun! Regardless of the reason, it can only be good if more AVR developers have access to on-chip debugging tools; it can really improve productivity.

I went to Digikey and for the Dragon/STK500 bundle, (Digikey part number AVRDEVKIT1-ND), and it indicated 0 in stock but when I put 1 in for the requested quantity it gave me an estimated ship date of tomorrow.

Then I put in a requested quantity of 10 and it still listed a ship date of tomorrow.

Didn't place the order as I need to figure a few other things I need.

Just bought one now. Got the same info about the expected shipping date of tomorrow.

Guess we'll see. :)

Awesome deal assuming it goes through.

Thanks for the heads-up,
-Arcquist

.....This promotion sounds to me like this: perhaps Atmel is going to place on the market a new STK500 USB dev-board?

In episode 2 of AVR Television, an upgrade to the STK500 called STK600 was briefly mentioned. It will be compatible with the full range of AVR 8-bit as well as the new UC3 line of the AVR32 platform. No further details on dW/JTAG support, price or peripherals. Maybe we'll get to see it in episode 3?

just received Devkit2 bundles..now what to do with the free so to speak STK500 :?: , bought the bundle for the Jtag2 !!!!! Looks like some people are selling them NEW on Ebay.....

Acquist wrote:
Just bought one now. Got the same info about the expected shipping date of tomorrow.

Guess we'll see. :)

Awesome deal assuming it goes through.

Thanks for the heads-up,
-Arcquist

Well it shipped today (2nd day after order) which is nice and fast. Too bad they split my order up and shipped twice (at my cost) instead of just waiting one day and charging the orginally quoted price. I guess from now on I'll have to be careful to explicitly request everything ship at once.

-Arcquist

Quote:

Too bad they split my order up and shipped twice (at my cost) instead of just waiting one day and charging the orginally quoted price.

That's always a tough one. In other cases, a person/company might think the opposite: ship what you have now 'cause I only want to wait for the exceptions.

Make sure that (especially like in this case where you anticipate the situation) you put "ship complete" or similar in the notes. [IIRC, DigiKey just made an adjustment to that policy--are you sure that you were charged for the second shipment?]

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

theusch wrote:
Quote:

Too bad they split my order up and shipped twice (at my cost) instead of just waiting one day and charging the orginally quoted price.

That's always a tough one. In other cases, a person/company might think the opposite: ship what you have now 'cause I only want to wait for the exceptions.

Make sure that (especially like in this case where you anticipate the situation) you put "ship complete" or similar in the notes. [IIRC, DigiKey just made an adjustment to that policy--are you sure that you were charged for the second shipment?]

Lee

Yeah I just checked again and both the 'initial shipment' and 'subsequent shipment' had a shipping fee associated with them. I kind of thought that if they were going to charge more as a result of shipping twice they'd ask first but it's not the end of the world. The kit is still an awesome deal and in the future I'll just put 'ship complete' or something like you suggested in the comments field.

It would be nice if they explicitly asked you somewhere in the ordering checklist whether or not you wanted to wait for a complete order before shipping like Amazon and such do but now that I know to do it it shouldn't be a problem anymore. :)

-Arcquist

I added one of the bundles to my cart on DigiKey's site. It shows up as a "Value Add" item, which means DigiKey assembles/bundles it on demand. They do this with a bunch of items like cables, they keep the parts on hand and make them as they're ordered.

What can I say... I'm impressed.

BOTH orders arrived well packed and organized and it took around 24 hours from the time they said they shipped it until it was at my door in both cases... I understand overnighting something is done regularly but I thought it usually cost a fair bit more than $8 CDN. (Less than $7 USD.) Especially considering it was shipped internationally...

I'm also pleasantly surprised with the size of both boards. For some reason I thought the STK500 was around the size of a motherboard, maybe 8"x11" or something but it's much smaller and lighter which is nice. The dragon is tiny! :)

-Arcquist

Good thing to do is to put the dragon in a small case. Too easy to have it short to something and do damage to itself.

Harvey

To the Australian shoppers at Digikey, recently they have added the United States Postal Service Global Express Mail as a delivery option. For a small order, this works out to be about $US25, plus $US6 processing fee. A lot better than the $US70+ that the couriers charge.

I tried to order the JTAGICE2 package Friday, near the end of the business day, and got a phone call from Digi-Key a little while later telling me that one part (the STK500) was out of stock with no definite due date (which I had noticed on their website before I placed my order). I asked if they could just ship the part they had in stock (the JTAGICE2, which was all I really cared about) now, and either ship the STK500 later, or even not at all. The person who assembles the kits was out for the day, so the rep couldn't answer to the first option, and said she'd have to ask her supervisor and get back to me on the second. Ultimately, she emailed back that she couldn't sell me just the JTAGICE2 for $150. :( I don't see why not, so I'm planning to call back on Monday and try to talk them into doing it. Has anyone else had a similar (or different) experience with the STK500 being out of stock?

Quote:
Posted: Apr 14, 2007 - 01:18 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to order the JTAGICE2 package Friday, near the end of the business day, and got a phone call from Digi-Key a little while later telling me that one part (the STK500) was out of stock with no definite due date (which I had noticed on their website before I placed my order). I asked if they could just ship the part they had in stock (the JTAGICE2, which was all I really cared about) now, and either ship the STK500 later, or even not at all. The person who assembles the kits was out for the day, so the rep couldn't answer to the first option, and said she'd have to ask her supervisor and get back to me on the second. Ultimately, she emailed back that she couldn't sell me just the JTAGICE2 for $150. I don't see why not, so I'm planning to call back on Monday and try to talk them into doing it.

but did she cancel the backorder? update MOnday on your success??

well if the objective was to clear the ATSTK500 stock then in about a week the AVRFreaks accomplished that for them....so now Atmel can release the STK600 ?
maybe they will offer a promotion of some kind for that...

while I am waiting for that from Atmel.....
I see that Circuit Cellar has approved my Pic Contest participation and is going to provide me with some 50% off dev tool discounts and a bunch of freebie parts....curious about their in-circuit debugger and how well it works since it borrows some micro resources.....and some interesting 28 pin parts ....

incoming!!! 8)

nleahcim wrote:

I ordered one for $170.+ including sales tax and shipping with them saying they had zero in stock and I got it in two days. :lol:
Cheers
John

Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!

Pages