Atmel dev board promotion

165 posts / 0 new
Last post
Author
Total votes: 0

Atmel has a promotion going where they're selling the STK500 plus the Dragon together for $49. I'd been planning on buying a single STK500 for $79, so I was pretty blown away and I ended up buying two of these bundles from Digi-Key yesterday. So, if my brain didn't explode, I could work on 4 projects at once.

Apparently, this hasn't been promoted aggressively yet. I was actually the very first person to buy this bundle.

I suppose this means a new dev board could be in the works and Atmel is trying to dump their stock of the current boards.

> So, if my brain didn't explode, I could work on 4 projects at once.

Well, to have fun, leave it at two projects. The "development area"
of the Dragon is just an add-on only and cannot match with the options
the STK500 is offering you. OTOH, once you learned love the emulation
features of the Dragon, you wouldn't want to develop much on an STK500
without having the Dragon to debug it there.

It has been discussed here before, both together are really a nice bundle
(unless, of course, you have to handle AVRs with > 32 KiB of ROM, where
you need the genuine JTAG ICE).

Jörg Wunsch

Please don't send me PMs, use email if you want to approach me personally.
Please read the `General information...' article before.

Well they had this offer before Christmas and a number of people benefitted - but it's GREAT if it's back again! (but I fear Digikey shippingto Europe will be high and I'll bet it's a US only thing)

Dumping non-RoHS stock certainly sounds like the most likley motive.

EDIT: Yup, had a look at ordering two sets - its $57 for delivery to the UK - then there'll be import duty and VAT. Still a bargain - two STK500, two Dragon for $157 - question is: do I or don't I? (44th birthday tomorrow so maybe I do)

Quote:
It has been discussed here before, both together are really a nice bundle
(unless, of course, you have to handle AVRs with > 32 KiB of ROM, where
you need the genuine JTAG ICE).
Digikey also has this: AVRDEVKIT2-ND = BUNDLE ATSTK500 + ATJTAGICE2 for $150 ?

Martin.

It's interesting, when you look at the description for ATJTAGICE2 it says "Contains Lead, RoHS Non-Compliant". I'm kind of suprised by that - I thought it was modern enough to have been a RoHS design. But this does seem to suggests that it is dumping non-RoHS stuff that may be behind this

Perhaps these offers should come with a health warning? ;)

Cliff

Cliff: Oh yes... [big red label] WARNING: USING ATJTAGICE2 MAY LEAD TO LEAD POISONING! USE AT OWN RISK!

There are pointy haired bald people.
Time flies when you have a bad prescaler selected.

> USING ATJTAGICE2 MAY LEAD TO LEAD POISONING! USE AT OWN RISK!

Nope, rather:

EATING ATJTAGICE2 MAY LEAD TO LEAD POISONING! USE AT OWN RISK!

Jörg Wunsch

Please don't send me PMs, use email if you want to approach me personally.
Please read the `General information...' article before.

clawson wrote:
44th birthday tomorrow ...

Cliff,

As it is "tomorrow" here right now ("at the third stroke it will be" Cliff's birthday).

Happy birthday from Down Under!

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

There have been rumours of the new-generation STK500 for years. I hope that they don't dump it entirely and suggest the Dragon as the substitute. I rarely use the DIP sockets, but often use the variable Vtarget for testing---VTG is very close to the setting in 'Studio, and it is very convenient to ramp up and down to test at different levels.

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

daqq wrote:
MAY LEAD TO LEAD POISONING!

==================================
How could anyone ever learn English, full of words like this spelled the same, pronounced differently, meaning different things?

Imagecraft compiler user

bobgardner wrote:
How could anyone ever learn English, full of words like this spelled the same, pronounced differently, meaning different things?

This is why the say it's the second most complicated language to learn after Chinese as there are so many context sensitive nuances and exceptions to standard grammar rules. It's just a shame for the rest of the world that our imperialist past means that about half of them are forced to try and understand it! (including US in fact - though I think they've almost got the hang of it now ;) )

Cliff

Pages