ATmega328P Xplained mini connection problems

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I have an ATmega328P xplained evaluation board that I can not get to connect to my laptop. 

I have Windows 7 on a 64 bit OS, and I have installed Atmel Studio 7.

When I connect the board to my laptop, it immediately says driver software could not be installed, and it is listed under "Other devices" in the device manager as "mEDBG CMSIS-DAP" with the little exclamation point. According to the user guide, the drivers should install the first time you connect it, and it should be recognized by Atmel Studio. Windows is unable to automatically update the driver software. I can manually select the driver "mEDBG Virtual COM Port" under Atmel Corp., doing this seems to make it connect properly, once I do it appears under Ports as "mEDBG Virtual COM Port (COM8)". Jungo connectivity also appears in the device list and contains "atmelwindrvr", and "Windriver". 

However, the tool cannot be recognized in Atmel Studio 7, under device programming, the only option is simulator. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling AS7, as well as downloading updated drivers but the result is always the same. 

Is there something I am missing here? I find it strange that the driver software never installed automatically, even the first time I connected it. Also, although I downloaded the newest USB drivers, I am not sure that I am installing them, instead of the drivers that came with the installation of AS7. 

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

The mEDBG CMSIS-DAP device is not a COM port, but a HID device. Try to change it to use the USB Input driver (update driver->borowse->list->input->USB Input Device). 

As to why it doesn't work, I don't know. To use this board you only need a driver for the COM port, not for the debugging endpoint....

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

What is the solution on this? I'm having the same issue. Fresh install of AS 7.0, Xplained 320P, and there is no mEDBG interface listed under TOOLS. However, in Device Manager I have a mEDBG Virtual COM Port listed.

Is there any update regarding this issue? I too am having an issue identifying the mEDBG. There seems to be some of driver related issue.

Nick_UU

UPDATE:

Super noob move on my part. When connecting my laptop to the ATmega328p Xplained board I was using a USB mini cord that only had power connections not data (the USB cord I was using came from an old speaker for charging).

Make sure you check your USB cable!!!

Nick_UU