ATmega128 development with STK500 and AVR Studio 7.0

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello,
I'm starting on a new project using the ATmega128. I have an older STK500 dev board with a STK501 daughterboard containing a ATmega128.  A couple of 'getting started' questions:

1. AVR Studio v7 doesn't appear to support the STK500.  But there is support for the STK600.  For example, in the File -> New -> Example Project the STK600 is among the listed boards.  Any suggestions on what I need to modify in order to port an existing STK600 project to the STK500?

2.  In the meantime, I created a new GCC C executable project (File -> New -> Project) that simply contains a empty main() function, then added some looping code to flash the LEDs on the STK500.  That simple code works.  But now I want to run the debugger on that working code.  In AVR Studio the 'Start Debugging' icons are active but when I click on it, after the code is built, I don't see a yellow arrow at the first line in main().  In AVR Studio, in the command bar I see my target CPU = 'ATmega128' and next to it, 'ISP on STK500'.  So it seems my target connection is good (note that I can manually program my program into flash OK.)  What am I missing in order to debug on the STK500?  Should the debugger program the flash first then jump to the start of main and halt? 

Thanks,
Keith

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Last Edited: Tue. Feb 6, 2018 - 06:49 PM

Keith77 wrote:
What am I missing in order to debug on the STK500?
An Atmel-ICE or some of its precursors.

http://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=ATATMEL-ICE

Atmel-ICE at 50% OFF!

http://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/atmel-ice-50

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

And just to clarify the STK500 is NOT a debugger, however due to it's age (do you really want to use it for a new project?) the old JTAG Mk1 debugger clone is available on the Internet for a few dollars.

Pin compatible newer chips are the ATmega1281/2561 or the bigger (100 pin) mega2560. Of course the M128 is still a very good chip to learn on and the code will be mostly portable to a newer device.

edit and by the way for the newer chips you will need an Atmel ice, the old one no longer work for newer chips (edit#2) and it doesn't work with AS7 but you will need the old AS4.18 or 4.19.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Last Edited: Tue. Feb 6, 2018 - 09:07 PM