AS6 AVRISP MKii Firmware uprgade

Go To Last Post
13 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I have just got out my AVRISP MKii to quickly reflash an old development board. I have a new laptop running Windows 7 and installed Studio 6.

When I went to reflash my dev board, it stated the firmware in the AVRISP mkii need to be upgraded but it just failed & try this several times.

The AVRISP MKii has the green led on on and the red & organge led is flashing. I can see the device in the windows device manager, but still cannot reflash the programmer. What every happens I just cannot reflash the firmware and it looks like the programmer is now dead.

Any help would be appricated,

What driver shows in the device manager? It should be Jungo.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

In the control panel I have Jungo with two entries, AVRISP MKII & WinDriver. The AVRISP driver is 02/09/2009 - Verison 10.1.1.0 and the WinDriver is 31/08/2010 verison 10.2.1.0. Windows states both drivers are okay, but the WinDriver location is unknown.

Does anyone know are these the correct drivers, as I have in past installed other verisons of Atmel Studio.

That sounds like the AVRISP-MKII is stuck in firmware upgrade mode. Does it show up in the AVR Tool Firmware Update window, and if so can you read the current firmware revision and try another upgrade?

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Not sure where I can find the option to read the firmware verison. In the firmware upgrade I get "AVRISP MKII on 000200014357" which I believe relates to USB port.

Is there is there another option I can use to read the firmware verison? I have tried connecting pins 1 & 3 toward and plugged in the USB and retried the reflash, but still no luck.

The error message is "Too small reponse to CMD_SIGN_ON" and then "Waiting for USB" and the programmer just keeps flashing.

The firmware revision should be visible if you click the little ">" expander button underneath the tool in the firmware upgrade window.

That said, I suspect it's jammed in update mode after a failed update. To repair that, you should force a new firmware upgrade from the upgrade screen (there's a check-box to force the upgrade).

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

I see the file location for the new flash firmware file and them the firmware image (avrispmkii-01-11.enc) on disk (1.11) On tool (unknown) Status (Unkown).

I think with AS5 there was a force upgrade flash, but there is no option with AS6. There does not seem to be any options to see the firmware verisons.

I might try to install an older verison of AS and see if I can get the upgrade to work. Odd the force reset using pins 1 & 3 does not work.

Might be esiler to get a new programmer...

Just to add, just reflashed the AVRISP firmware using AS4 and now the programmer is back to normal. But, trying to reflash via AS6 causes the AVRISP MKII to get stuck in programming/upgrade mode.

AS6 bug?

Just as a update, purchased a new AVR ISP programmer and all is okay. The older AVR ISP cannot be compatible with AS5 & AS6.

You are right, it isn't but it could always be driven externally using avrdude.

I have never could get the AVR ISP MKII programmer to work with AVRdude, I tried different drivers but always get the error message:

avrdude -p at90can128 -c avrispmkii

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\com1": the system cannot find the file specified.

I played with the -P to select the port, but still no luck,

Which driver should you use with AVRdude & the AVR ISP MKII progammer?

avrdude -p at90can128 -c avrispmkii -P usb -B5

Note that you need to install and run LibUSB-Win32 first for the AVRISP-2.

Then you can use both avrdude and Studio.

David.

david.prentice wrote:

avrdude -p at90can128 -c avrispmkii -P usb -B5

Note that you need to install and run LibUSB-Win32 first for the AVRISP-2.

Then you can use both avrdude and Studio.

David.

And after installing libUSB you need to use the wizard they provide to install a USB driver filter, so that avrdude/libusb can connect to the jungo driver that studio uses

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)