Anyone heard of an Airsoft Round Counter?

Go To Last Post
21 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

between playing airsoft, and video games that have a round countdown screen on them. I got to thinking.

How hard would it be to mount a small screen on an airsoft rifle, a button on the mag well for a reset. If I always used say 45 round mags. simply replacing the mag restarts the counter, and it counts down the snaps from the gun firing.

I'm not sure what I would use for the counting device though. How would one internal sense the round going off. without picking up every noise around?

Any help? Has anyone seen this before maybe already? save me the work.

I think I'd use a photo-interrupter spanning the chamber.

Quote:
I think I'd use a photo-interrupter spanning the chamber.

Or the barrel, (easier).

JC

Or an accelerometer? The impulse from a round going off should be quite characteristic.

Or a simple switch pushed by the trigger.

Why simple when there is a complex way to get there ?

Markus

I used a photo-reflector at the end of the barrel to see when the pellet passes by. 'not very portable.
http://electronicsfluff.blogspot...
Matt M.

What happens when you reach zero? Audible alarm? Or something like a butterfly that displays number of rounds left?

i'm thinking a display for rounds remaining. My sound think got debunked, unless I can differeantiate between a shot and a miss fire :(

saw one group made one. but there plans etc are really too basic for me to buid :(

http://ddl.me.cmu.edu/ddwiki/ind...

takagari wrote:
saw one group made one. but there plans etc are really too basic for me to build :(

Not to mention all the discrete logic could by replaced with a single AVR.

it cvould be. sadly i dont know avr's well enough. i'd have to consider hiring someone

Actually where/who can I goto to talk to about designing an avr version of this cicruit? I'd be willing to pay..

Looks like a simple photogate like JC and tlucas suggested. Hook it up to an interrupt, increment a value each ISR, output to LCD via serial port. You just need to make a proper mount for your gun.

Hope I can help,
Mike
My Robotics/AVR Blog

You can stuff all the components including AVR and battery in a silencer. Most airsoft silencers should have enough room. Just cut the foam stuffing to fit the components and drill a hole for the on-off switch. Although the PCB would have to be narrow and long rather than squarish (unless you know someone who makes curved PCBs).

For the display I would use a four digit 7 segment display and mount it on a just-big-enough PCB and put heatshrink around it (cutting a hole for the display itself, of course) and then glue some velcro on the back. Just like the pressure switches for your lasers and SureFires. That way everything will be nice and portable.

Hmm... Now I might just have to make one myself. I would probably include a RoF counter as well and use a SPDT switch for Rounds-Off-RoF.
And maybe just a simple pushbutton for resetting the counter when you replace the mag (although it would be nicer to connect the reset switch to the magazine release button).

Thanks for the inspiration!

/Jens W.

That's why I mentioned the butterfly earlier, that's the whole assembly including battery and display, on a small board. All you need to do is wire in a sensor and write the code.

I need to learn a lot more to figure this one out.I'm still an AVr newbie. Sadly. If you build one and need a beta tester. Let me know!! :)

Shawn

Hi Shawn

I'm working on one right now. I'd be happy to share my schematics and code so you can see exactly how I'm doing it.
The circuit itself is pretty simple so if you have just basic soldering skills and a way to program an AVR you should be able to assemble it yourself.

/Jens W.

I'm an aircraft electrician. Soldering skills I have. and avr program I shall build. I'm still new to circuit design though :( thinking of taking a few courses

You can follow my progress here http://atomslagstyrken.dk/arduin...

I'll post my schematics and code and everything there. And feel free to drop me questions in the comments or by mail if anything is unclear.

/Jens W.

Thank you

Just read the site, will keep an eye on it and hopefully build a prototype myself as soon as you know it sorta works. I'll just need help with ordering a list of parts, I'm not used to online ordering so will have a hard time with digikey, and need to build a usb programmer for the avrs

takagari wrote:
Thank you
and need to build a usb programmer for the avrs

I'd recommend to get - either an AVRISP-MKII Programmer , or an AVR Dragon Programmer & Debugger.

The Money spent on the Robust ISP-MKII is well given out.

Or if you want debugging. The AVR Dragon, is a nice value for the money. Even though it is a bit fragile , and comes without a casing.

You don't want to be fighting programming trouble , on your first project.

Edit: Remember to get cables for 6-Pin & 10-Pin (ISP adapters) for both units.
I Seem to remember that the Dragon comes with no cables.

I can't remember what's included in the MKII , but one of the above is.

/Bingo

Thanks. Will have a look at them.