avr+linux

Go To Last Post
21 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Before you critisize badly, see that it has been done.
http://dmitry.co/index.php?p=./04.Thoughts/07.%20Linux%20on%208bit#uniqstr_1343052874841_q
How can I add the following to it?
PS/2 port (for keyboard)
USB port (for optical mouse)(for X)
RCA Video out (for TV connectivity)(for X)
Possibly Ethernet port (for networking?)
Are these possible?
Can I install the most lightweight browser I find?

This topic has a solution.
Last Edited: Sun. Jul 31, 2016 - 06:21 AM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

You do know that it takes 2-3 hours to boot as far as a login: prompt don't you? It's a piece of technical genius but no one would ever describe it as useful/usable!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

jimmis98 wrote:
Can I install the most lightweight browser I find?

Your ISP would certainly not complain about you using too much bandwidth. :wink:

I found it to be a very cool project too.

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." - Marcus Aurelius               

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

whaaat, no HD video playback on the list, you need to be more ambitious.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:

whaaat, no HD video playback on the list, you need to be more ambitious.


Lessee--if it takes several hours to boot, then the frame rate would be measured in hours or days?

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I liked the JavaScript based Linux emulator. IIRC Cliff posted a link to that some time ago.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Let me see
Keyboard to avr: doable
Mouse to avr: somewhat doable
So far we are good
starrtX command: doable(if you dont bother waiting)
video out: doable (http://blog.vinu.co.in/2012/06/a...)
ethernet:difficult(but what about an arduino ethernet shield?)
lightweight browser:I had found one which take only 300KB (i dont remember how muvh ram it needed though0

What do you think now? I dont care about speed...

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

You don't care about speed? The thing is impossibly slow! When you've got things like the Raspberry Pi at a price point less than the cost of an ethernet shield, why would you bother?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Because I can?!
There doesn't have to be a reason for everything you know...
When I say I dont care about speed I mean that it doesn't bother mw that I will start in the night and it will have booted in the morning..
About the Raspberry Pi now. First of all, where I live it will be available at the end of September. Also I prefer the system I ask for because it is builable (the raspberry comes complete).

So don't bother asking me why, or telling me how slow it would be, but answer me if it is doable and if yes, how.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Of course a Raspberry Pi is a more practical choise

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Also see my signature [removed]

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Because you can! If you can, you wouldn't be asking the question. Can it be done? Of course it can. How? With a lot of effort. If you REALLY want to tavkle this, then avoid ethernet and use a serial SLIP connection. That gives you the internet interface. As to what browser, then try any you have available.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Kartman wrote:
Because you can! If you can, you wouldn't be asking the question. Can it be done? Of course it can. How? With a lot of effort. If you REALLY want to tavkle this, then avoid ethernet and use a serial SLIP connection. That gives you the internet interface. As to what browser, then try any you have available.

"Because I can" was supposed to mean "Because I can ask"

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

jimmis98 wrote:
Also see my signature
Why? Are you "spaming" [sic]?

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." - Marcus Aurelius               

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

larryvc wrote:
jimmis98 wrote:
Also see my signature
Why? Are you "spaming" [sic]?

No, I am not spamming. That day I added my signature because of its meaning, which was an alternative to my answer

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I have switched off your signature in the posts above - to me this just looks like very subtle spam.

Moderator.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

clawson wrote:
I have switched off your signature in the posts above - to me this just looks like very subtle spam.

Moderator.

Did you waste your time on at least reading it?

 
Last Edited: Sun. Jul 31, 2016 - 06:19 AM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

You say that it is doable, but it takes so much time that makes it so unpractical that none would consider it doable, am I correct?
Well, if it is doable, I definately want to give it a try before quitting completely, so, as I said previously, could you explain me what I could do to make it real? Even I power it and it is ready after two hundrend hours.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:

Did you waste your time on at least reading it?

It was a page full of links to other pages - that's exactly what site spammers use when trying to promote their Google hit score. As I say, just looked like spam to me.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

clawson wrote:
Quote:

Did you waste your time on at least reading it?

It was a page full of links to other pages - that's exactly what site spammers use when trying to promote their Google hit score. As I say, just looked like spam to me.

I thought it was a poem, not a page full of links. Wha?

Last Edited: Sun. Jul 31, 2016 - 06:17 AM
This reply has been marked as the solution. 
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

If you REALLY want to try it, i'd suggest you get a bit of experience with linux especially with networking. Having a background in computer architecture helps