USART Interrupt

Hi, guys

I am trying to use USART interrupt. The idea is to send character through hyperTerminal then show the character on LCD.So far, I believe my sending and receiving function is working fine. And the function writing LCD is fine. So, I guess must be somewhere wrong with the interrupt.
I used WinAVR toolchain.

Thank you all for your time!

Here is part of the code

#include
#include
#include

unsigned char r_char;

void USART_send(unsigned char Tx)
    while(!(USARTF0_STATUS&=0x20))

................
         ................

USART_send('A');

while(1)

* Following is edited on May 3rd
Hi, Guys
Right now, I am sure that the USART interrupt is never been triggered. So, someone please check my USART initialization code, is there any problem. If the initialization is right, what else could cause USART interrupt don't get triggered?
I basically follow the procedure from the menual. I truned off global interrupt before USART initialization.
One more question, is it necessary to set I/O register INTCTRL and INT0MASK too?
Thanks a lot!!!

USARTF0_CTRLB = 0x18; // Enable Receiver and Transmitter
     * CTRLA - USART Control Register A
     * bit  7                                                  0
     * -----------------------------------------------------------
     * | - | - | RXCINTLVL[1:0] | TXCINTLVL[1:0] | DREINTLVL[1:0] |
     * -----------------------------------------------------------
    USARTF0_CTRLA = 0x15; // Enable Receive Complete, TransmitComplete, RegisterEmpty Interrupt(Low Level)
Last Edited: Wed. May 4, 2011 - 11:58 PM

Quote:

So, I guess must be somewhere wrong with the interrupt

Guess WHAT must be wrong? You forgot to say.

Change:
while(!(USARTF0_STATUS &= 0x20))
to
while(!(USARTF0_STATUS & 0x20));
and
while(!(USARTF0_STATUS &= 0x80))
to
while(!(USARTF0_STATUS & 0x80));

Edit: the RXCIF will be cleared by reading USARTF0_DATA in interrupt routine. Try to define a variable and check it when waiting for data.

Ozhan KD
Knowledge is POWER

Quote:

So, I guess must be somewhere wrong with the interrupt

Guess WHAT must be wrong? You forgot to say.

I think might be this part.

ISR(USARTF0_RXC_vect)
r_char = cmd_Rx();
Wrt_Data(r_char); // Write to LCD

But I can't see where is the problem. I can write character on LCD through HyperTerminal. I can receive character from HyperTerminal if I keep checking RXCIF bit.

electronic.designer wrote:
Change:
while(!(USARTF0_STATUS &= 0x20))
to
while(!(USARTF0_STATUS & 0x20));
and
while(!(USARTF0_STATUS &= 0x80))
to
while(!(USARTF0_STATUS & 0x80));

Thank you for your response. I've made the change, still the same thing. And I got another question from your response. The USART interrupt will be triggered every time I try to send any character to MCU right? Then why I still need to define a variable and check it when waiting for data?
Thanks a lot!

Quote:

still the same thing.

But you STILL haven't said what that is?!? If you don't say what's wrong how do you expect anyone to help?

Quote:

still the same thing.

I said in my first post. The idea is to send a character from Hyperterminal then show the received character on LCD, but it doesn't show any character on LCD when I entered a character. I can send a character from hyperterminal to LCD by checking RXCIF bit, without using USART interrupt. So, I think the send function is fine, and I suspect it's someting wrong with interrupt code. But what's exactly the problem, I can't tell, otherwise if I have any clue I will keep trying instead of bothering other people.

I hope I made myself clear this time. If not, please be specific what you don't understand, and I will try to explain my question. Thanks!

I also read from an old thread that there is interrupt problem with earilier Xmega chip. Has anyone encountered these kind of porblems?

Maybe you got this figured out already, but the xmega interrupt controller is double enabled. You need to set global interrupts and also enable the level you are using. Since you are setting the uart interrupt to level 0, you need to also enable that level like this.

PMIC.CTRL |= LOLVLEN_bm;

GordonFreeman wrote:

PMIC.CTRL |= LOLVLEN_bm;

Thank you for your response!
I did enable PMIC control register. Sorry, I should have my main function re editted.
I think it should work the same way as yours.

PMIC_CTRL |= 0x01; // enable interrupts

Yes that is the same command as mine. Do you have it working yet or are there still problems?

GordonFreeman wrote:

No, still dont work.

Here is a code example for sending a character to Hyper terminal and display the received character on lcd:

Ozhan KD
Knowledge is POWER

electronic.designer wrote:

Thank you, I will study your code. :D

pls post your USART_init(); function code.

rsensan wrote:
pls post your USART_init(); function code.

Who are you referring to?

rsensan wrote:
pls post your USART_init(); function code.

* USART.c

* CTRLA - USART Control Register A
     * bit  7                                                  0
     * -----------------------------------------------------------
     * | - | - | RXCINTLVL[1:0] | TXCINTLVL[1:0] | DREINTLVL[1:0] |
     * -----------------------------------------------------------

:D

...so did you manage to resolve your problem? I've been struggling with the same for the last day or so... :/