Studio 7.0.1417 can't find device in io.h

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I just installed the latest Studio (1417).  Can't compile.  The preprocessor seems to find the io.h file but the io.h file can't find the device. 

 

The device I specify in the Build > Device is there but it appears the device doesn't get passed to the preprocessor.

 

I noticed something in the Build > toolchain that doesn't exist in my Studio 6.2.  The field is blank.  Could this be the problem?

 

Here is the device being set:

 

 

Here is the empty field:

 

 

 

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

steve17 wrote:
I just installed the latest Studio (1417).  Can't compile.  The preprocessor seems to find the io.h file but the io.h file can't find the device. 

Complete build output?

steve17 wrote:
Device is [set in the project properties] but it appears the device doesn't get passed to the preprocessor.

The build system should pass a -mmcu option to the compiler with the actual device name as its value. (Check this looking at the complete build output.) It should result in a preprocessor symbol being defined. You can test it in your main.c, with something like this at the very beginning:

#ifndef defined (__AVR_ATxmega256A3BU__)
#warning "MCU model not defined!"
#endif

 

Have you tried simply "wiggling" the device model in the project settings? (Change to something else, then change back.)

 

Is it the  same when you set up a new empty project with the same device?

"He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack, or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track. Oh the engineers would see him sitting in the shade, Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made. People passing by, they would stop and say, "Oh, my, what that little country boy could play!" [Chuck Berry]

 

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Thanks Johan.  Yes, the problem is the lack of the -mmcu option.  Why does this keep happening to me?   It happened a year ago with an earlier version of Studio 7.0.  Now I remember I have to put -mmcu in 3 places.  Compiler, linker, and assembler.

 

Could it be because I  use the offline installer?  The on-line installer is always recommended.  Why is that?

 

I prefer offline installs because I often install stuff on several OS installations on a couple of computers.  I'm testing this thing now on a Win10 installation I use for testing on my secondary computer.

 

I'm still running Studio 6.2 on my main computer because 7.0 had a bug with links and folders.  Maybe it's fixed in this version.  Hope springs eternal.

 

P.S.  Changing the device didn't help.  I feed Studio with a 6.2 project which it upgrades.  I haven't tried a new project.  Studio should come with a warning:  THIS SOFTWARE CAN BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH.

Last Edited: Sun. Aug 13, 2017 - 12:12 PM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Okay, it looks like the bug in earlier versions of 7.0 has been fixed.  It was worth the torment.  I was doubtful because I saw no mention of this fix in the version release notes.