Which software is best for PCB design?

As a professional electronic student, I need to learn how to design PCB. Is any one can give me some suggestion about the software?  Note: Free software!!!

Last Edited: Tue. Oct 3, 2017 - 12:58 PM

If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue! - Kartman

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB user

Note: Free software!!!

Is If you are a real Sicilian then Kicad is free and it seems that many people use it and is improving all the time from what I hear.

I tried it a few years ago but then I gave up, I purchased a package that could import 20+ years of PCB if needed.

One of these days I may have another go at it just for fun.

* Spelling corrected by the Sicilian Mafia. cheeky *

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Last Edited: Thu. Jul 27, 2017 - 05:37 AM

Best is in the eye of the beholder. Very much like "best IDE" or "best computer language".

Jim Wagner Oregon Research Electronics, Consulting Div. Tangent, OR, USA http://www.orelectronics.net

Could you send me a link?smiley

Some would argue that "best" and "free" are mutually exclusive!

But, surely, if you are a "professional (sic?) electronic student" then you have tutors who can make recommendations for you?

Surely the best for you is going to be to use whatever will be taught in class ?

And remember that the software is just a tool; learning "how to design PCB" is about principles - not just about using a specific bit of software

jgmdesign wrote:
There is a STICKY at the top of the GENERAL ELECTRONICS forum regarding this subject Jim

TOP wrote:
Could you send me a link?

Go on - you're a student; do a bit of studying!

jgmdesign told you there's something in the GENERAL ELECTRONICS forum - did you go and look?

Click on 'FORUMS' at the top of the page, then find 'General Electronics'

Once you're in 'General Electronics', "Schematic- and PCB design programs" is right there at the very top of the list:

How hard was that?

Just a note to the community members. TOP and SICILY are the same person based on IP address. They could also be two students in the same class as well.

I suggest not putting any effort in this until the parties explain.....

Moderator

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB user

Last Edited: Thu. Jul 27, 2017 - 12:21 PM

Agreed. Both accounts are candidates for being banned if no explanation is offered promptly. One account has email address at allpcb.com while the other is a hotmail one.

Ross

Moderator

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

Last Edited: Thu. Jul 27, 2017 - 12:21 PM

valusoft wrote:
One account has email address at allpcb.com
If the two accounts thing does not already ring alarm bells I would have thought that was the definite trigger?

Not sure whether to suggest banning the two accounts and deleting all trace of their posts or maybe leave them so others can see what shabby business practices allpcb.com go in for if that is what is really occurring here?

EDIT: just to be sure it was allpcb.com and not a competitor trying to sully their name I did an IP check. User TOP is located at:

and www.allpcb.com says:

So that seems pretty unequivocal to me.

Last Edited: Thu. Jul 27, 2017 - 12:32 PM

But he had made the mistake of using the name SICILY in vain....

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

js wrote:
using the name SICILY in vain....

That's so silly

awneil wrote:
That's so silly

And now we await our Italian/Australian friend answering:

"Si, silly"

Happy 75th anniversary to one of the best movies ever made! Rick Blane [Bogart]: "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine."

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

See - Scilly:

Image result for view of scilly

jgmdesign wrote:

Remember that IPv4 addresses are getting scarce and lots of companies and organizations use NAT. Many, many people in an organization or university could all have the same IP address.

SalAmmoniac wrote:

You left out the second sentence from my post:

jgmdesign wrote:
They could also be two students in the same class as well.

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB user

Students in a rented appartment sharing the same internet connection?

(Maybe they should introduce themselves a bit ?)

For me KiCad ticks all the boxes which make it usefull and a lot which made me love it.

And it does'nt tick any boxes which would be show stoppers.

I've used 10+ different PCB design suites over 30 years and KiCad is the best untill now.

The things I've seen....

What do you think of a PCB package that if you delete a connection in the schematic you get visual confirmation it's deleted, but the connection is not removed from the netlist, so it's still there when you draw the PCB? And paid EUR150 for that piece of crap. Yuch.

Paul van der Hoeven.
Bunch of old projects with AVR's:

After using "FreePCB" for years, it took me some time, like an afternoon, to catch onto KiCad and love it.

274,207,281-1 The largest known Mersenne Prime

Measure twice, cry, go back to the hardware store

@SICILY,

I am listing some of the best PCB designing softwares of free Category. Please have a look below:

• Free PCB

• Eagle

• KiCAD

• Fritzing

• DesignSpark PCB

There are many more free software in the wide market of electronics but the listed softwares are the top 5 softwares which we can use free of cost.

Oh, please don't recommend Fritzing....!

Also, I think there is a big difference between free, and crippled trials and vendor tied versions, but never mind.

Bob.

@Chhrisedwards

Listing some of the best?

By what measure if I may ask?

Fritzing is not even a pcb design software.

The Eagle has crashed.

Designspak is not free. You pay for it when you try to order pcb's.

Never heard of "Free PCB". Listen to Torby.

KiCad rules. Listen to Torby.

Paul van der Hoeven.
Bunch of old projects with AVR's:

Paulvdh wrote:

@Chhrisedwards

Listing some of the best?

By what measure if I may ask?

Fritzing is not even a pcb design software.

The Eagle has crashed.

Designspak is not free. You pay for it when you try to order pcb's.

Never heard of "Free PCB". Listen to Torby.

KiCad rules. Listen to Torby.

Generally, people ignore Torby

274,207,281-1 The largest known Mersenne Prime

Measure twice, cry, go back to the hardware store

Hi
Dos is still alive.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

"But Airborn is dead?? The guy that used to run it works for an insurance company from what I gather."

R.I.P.

TRAXEDIT on my desk

I used Schedit, and Autotrax for many years but could never master producing Gerbers out of that, still have in on my old Xp machine.

Sometimes I would send the file to Steven from Airborn to get the Gerbers as he was working on an easier program to produce them.

Then I purchased RIMU PCB and schematic and never went back, it will import Protel PCBs and produce Gerbers easily.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Thank you js for RIMU , I downloaded it. It is practical.
But at drawing, it looks dull and dead. No short keys,  no zoom when the track is involved with cursor.

I will try it again.

Last Edited: Thu. Aug 3, 2017 - 11:52 AM

What did you expect for free?

Take a look at DipTrace. They have a Free version but is limited to 300 pins. KiCad seems to be the big winner on free PCB software

Also did you look at the sticky I mentioned earlier?

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB user

Last Edited: Thu. Aug 3, 2017 - 11:58 AM

jgmdesign wrote:
KiCad seems to be the big winner on free PCB software

Now that Eagle got bought out, I really need to get in and really learn KiCad. I have it installed on my machine and did some tinkering awhile back with the schematic editor but have yet to do a board layout. I have a few breadboard prototypes I've got that are almost ready for a board layout. I should do some of the simpler ones as a learning process.

My digital portfolio: www.jamisonjerving.com

My game company: www.polygonbyte.com

Jamison wrote:
Now that Eagle got bought out, I really need to get in and really learn KiCad.

Follow the "getting started guide".

It wil guide you through the whole process from dawing a schematic to generating gerbers.

I believe they use a circuit with a led, resistor and a uC from the same company that bought Atmel, but you can substitue your own components if you like :)

Their forum has some integrated mail notification system, which means that if you post a question it's often answered within a few minutes.

Paul van der Hoeven.
Bunch of old projects with AVR's:

Paulvdh wrote:

Jamison wrote:
Now that Eagle got bought out, I really need to get in and really learn KiCad.

Follow the "getting started guide".

I will definitely check that out. My process for learning new applications has always been "just figure it out by doing stuff" but the busier I get with projects, the less time I have to "just figure it out" and guides start to become more helpful.

My digital portfolio: www.jamisonjerving.com

My game company: www.polygonbyte.com

What did you expect for free?

RIMU is not free, it cost me about AU$250.00 for both schematic and PCB. Unfortunately the guy that used to maintain it in NZ thought that he had better things to do in life and now one needs to buy the license from someone in Poland http://www.alpro.pl/hs/rimuuk.html

I don't know if there has been any updates lately, probably not. Maybe I'll send them an email but don't know if a get an answer.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

I have made multiple designs for PCB by using these PCB design software as:

(a).DesignSpark PCB

(b).PCBWeb Designer &

(c).TinyCAD.

You can also take the help from these free software.

jgmdesign wrote:

Perhaps it's time to lock this one, and keep further "contributions" in that STICKY thread ... ?

awneil wrote:

Untill ANOTHER thread is created....and another?

JIm