FREE to a good home

Go To Last Post
18 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

All have gone to new homes now.

'This forum helps those who help themselves.'

 

pragmatic  adjective dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical consideration.

Last Edited: Wed. Jul 19, 2017 - 10:32 AM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

nevermind - I didn't see you were outside the US...

Last Edited: Fri. Jul 7, 2017 - 12:46 AM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I could use them if nobody else is interested ...

 

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

What about at the pasific ?

Regards
Tiro

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I was mildly interested because I've been dabbling a bit with STM32F103C8T6.

I mean, who can resist a USD1.8 development board for a 32 bit processor @80MHz ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/whole...

 

I'm still a bit curious to know what this JTAG debugger has to offer over a ST-Link V2 which costs USD1.80 with free worldwide chipping directly from China.

https://www.aliexpress.com/whole...

And that USD1.80 is almost certainly less than shipping the unit above to anyone else but the neighbor next door.

 

As a sidenote:

I got my STM32 & ST-Link going with the excellent tutorial from "pandafruits".

Inclusive a connection to GDB, but I haven't done any serious software development or debugging on it yet.

 

Note2:

The Sigrok/Pulseview logic analyser has decoding support for ST32 debug data.

Haven't used it yet so cant' tell more about it.

 

Paul van der Hoeven.
Bunch of old projects with AVR's:
http://www.hoevendesign.com

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Paulvdh wrote:
a ST-Link V2 which costs USD1.80 with free worldwide chipping directly from China.

https://www.aliexpress.com/whole...

Seems highly unlikely that even the ones that look like a real ST-Link are genuine ST-links:

1pcs best quality driver ST-LINK/V2 ST-LINK V2(CN) ST LINK STLINK Emulator Download Manager STM8 STM32 artificial device(China (Mainland))

So who knows what features & limitations they may actually have?

 

These ones are certainly knock-offs:

1PCS ST LINK Stlink ST-Link V2 Mini STM8 STM32 Simulator Download Programmer Programming With Cover(China (Mainland))

They are SWD only - no JTAG.

 

Note also that there are at least 2 different pinout versions - so you need to pay very careful attention!!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I own several "genuine" ST-Links i.e. the onboard debugger on Nucleo boards.   These are just software running on regular STM32F103 chips.   There are no complex level conversions or input protection.

 

So it costs ST nothing more than the assembly cost and chip cost.    If the Chinese can make a BluePill for $2 and a ST-Link dongle for $3 I am not surprised.  

Likewise ST can make and sell Nucleo boards for $10.   You end up with evaluation boards that are infinitely better than Atmel XMINI or XPRO.   (But the XPRO do contain extra hardware)

 

I would guess that the Chinese do not pay any licence fee for the ST-Link firmware.

I would guess that the components used are serviceable but may not be 100% QC spec.

 

As it happens,   I ordered a cheap BluePill and cheap ST-Link dongle for a project that would be "inconvenient" to program with the Nucleo debugger.    I am 100% confident that SWD uploads will work.    It will be interesting to see whether debugging is 100%.

 

If I was ST,   I would be annoyed by the Chinese using ST logos and ripping off ST firmware.

Likewise Atmel / Microchip would be annoyed by Chinese ripping off Pickit or EDBG.

 

If you buy a PicKit or ATMEL-ICE you get a nice plastic case,  quality components and electrical protection.

If you buy a Chinese ST-Link,  you get 3.3V operation.   If something fails you can buy a new one.

 

David.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

david.prentice wrote:
 It will be interesting to see whether debugging is 100%.

The debugging with the "USB-stick" chinese knock-offs seems to be generally as good as my genuine ST-Link.

 

The operation of the genuine ST-Link with OpenOCD is not that great; those knock-offs seem to have the same issues.

The issues may well be inherent with OpenOCD...

 

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I would guess that the Chinese have got exactly the same firmware as the genuine ST-Link.

If so,   the behaviour would be identical.

 

STM32 ST-Link works fine with Keil and Rowley.

 

David.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Just ordered one of those chinese ST-Links a few days ago, for €1.60 and free shipping. I just don't understand how this is possible (the free shipping halfway across the globe, I mean), but who cares... taking advantage while it lasts...

 

Edit: it will take a month or so to arrive, as usual. But meanwhile, I sometimes like to imagine the adventures these orders go through in their voyage. Maybe packed in the corner of a container inside a gigantic container carrier crossing the oceans, maybe in the cargo hold of a beaten down soviet era cargo plane flying over Siberia, maybe trafficked by Afghani opium lords...

 

All this included in "free shipping" cheeky

Last Edited: Sun. Jul 9, 2017 - 04:39 PM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

david.prentice wrote:
I would guess that the Chinese have got exactly the same firmware as the genuine ST-Link.

ST's firmware updater can't tell them apart, so will give them the same firmware

 

If so,   the behaviour would be identical.

Indeed.

 

STM32 ST-Link works fine with Keil and Rowley.

Yes - it does seem to be OpenOCD that's the problem.

 

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I have no idea what tools Rowley uses.   The Compiler and build tools are definitely GCC.

I would guess that Keil have their own tools.

 

I really don't care.   Just as long as the debug session works ok.

 

Surely the punter sees the GUI.   The IDE software handles requests from the punter.   Communicates with the OCD on the chip via the debugger firmware.   Displays the results in the GUI.

 

I would guess that the OCD comms can be at a very basic level or it can use all the bells and whistles available on your J-Link, ST-Link, CMSIS-DAP, ...

I also guess that the AS7 revisions and ATMEL-ICE revisions are down to the "best use".

 

Rowley for the AVR has always worked with whatever firmware is in your Dragon or JTAGICE-2.    I presume that this is due to using the basic JTAG, debugWIRE.

 

I have never tried it.   But I would assume that I could use the ST-Link on NXP, Freescale, Atmel, ... but only with a non-partisan IDE.

AS7 is unlikely to support ST-Link.  

 

David.

Last Edited: Sun. Jul 9, 2017 - 05:02 PM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Segger even gives the upgrade code to extend the on board ST Link to a J-Link.   I suspect it is a good way to market their direct product so the user wants more functionality ...  Like a trial size sample.

 

https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/other-j-links/st-link-on-board/

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

El Tangas wrote:
Maybe packed in the corner of a container inside a gigantic container carrier crossing the oceans, maybe in the cargo hold of a beaten down soviet era cargo plane flying over Siberia, maybe trafficked by Afghani opium lords...
... or maybe by rail.

New Eastern Outlook

New Eastern Outlook

One Belt, One Road Project is Making the World a Safer Place
by Dmitry Bokarev
10.05.2017

https://journal-neo.org/2017/05/10/one-belt-one-road-project-is-making-the-world-a-safer-place/

...

 

The group of 17 European countries that have a direct rail link with China has recently been joined by the United Kingdom. On April 12, 2017, the first freight train was sent from England to China. Its 7500 miles long journey started in Stanford-le-Hope, England, and stretched across the territories of seven states – France, Belgium, Germany, Poland, Belarus, Russia and Kazakhstan. The road ends in the Chinese city of Yiwu, Zhejiang Province and takes three weeks, which is twice as fast as to travel to China by sea from England.
 

...

 

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

david.prentice wrote:
I would assume that I could use the ST-Link on NXP, Freescale, Atmel

Certainly, quit a few people seem to successfully use them with Nordic chips ...

 

jporter wrote:
Segger even gives the upgrade code to extend the on board ST Link to a J-Link.

But  the licence terms are quite restrictive:

segger wrote:

  • The firmware is only to be used with ST target devices. Using it with other devices is prohibited and illegal.
  • The firmware is for use with evaluation boards only. It is not for use with custom hardware.
  • The firmware may only be used for development and/or evaluation purposes. It may not be used for production purposes.
  • The firmware is made available without any warranty and without support.

 

 

Last Edited: Mon. Jul 10, 2017 - 06:55 AM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

awneil wrote:

But  the licence terms are quite restrictive:

segger wrote:

  • The firmware is only to be used with ST target devices. Using it with other devices is prohibited and illegal.
  • The firmware is for use with evaluation boards only. It is not for use with custom hardware.
  • The firmware may only be used for development and/or evaluation purposes. It may not be used for production purposes.
  • The firmware is made available without any warranty and without support.

 

They forgot "AS IS" and "WITH ALL FAULTS" in the disclaimer, so this EULA doesn't even have proper form.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

El Tangas wrote:

Just ordered one of those chinese ST-Links a few days ago, for €1.60 and free shipping. I just don't understand how this is possible (the free shipping halfway across the globe, I mean), but who cares... taking advantage while it lasts...

 

Edit: it will take a month or so to arrive, as usual. But meanwhile, I sometimes like to imagine the adventures these orders go through in their voyage. Maybe packed in the corner of a container inside a gigantic container carrier crossing the oceans, maybe in the cargo hold of a beaten down soviet era cargo plane flying over Siberia, maybe trafficked by Afghani opium lords...

 

All this included in "free shipping" cheeky

 

I ordered a ST-Link dongle for £2.24 on 28 June.  It arrived today.    12 days is not unusual from China Post.   The cheapest on Ebay is £1.85.  I am not going to quibble over £0.39.

 

It works just fine with Keil, Rowley, stm32duino, ...

 

Regarding shipping from China.   As far as I know,   they just fill a big box full of packets destined for Europe.    When the box is full it goes on the next plane.    Hence you get the "minimal freight cost".

If Chinese companies want to,  they can send packets via a premium service.    Look at the Ebay vendors that "claim to have a European warehouse" but promise 5 day delivery.    They probably send a daily parcel from their Chinese warehouse to Europe (at extra cost to them).

 

The camels look exceptionally cool.    I am very fond of camels.

 

David.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

These items have now gone to new homes.

'This forum helps those who help themselves.'

 

pragmatic  adjective dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical consideration.