Funny how that works....

Working on an Arduino project for a magazine article. Was just about working right, and I decided to make a small change in the program. Now it's completely doing nothing like it's supposed to. "What?" Unmade the change and it's completely naff. Fiddled around with it for quite a while before I noticed the outputs of two of my IR detectors were always low. "Hmm, there's no VCC to these two."

A stupid wire on my breadboard had gone bad!?!?! Replaced the wire and the changed program works as I expected it to work hours ago. Who'd have thought a program change would cause a wire to go bad

274,207,281-1 The largest known Mersenne Prime

Measure twice, cry, go back to the hardware store

When wires get too old they lose their conductivity.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Last Edited: Sun. Mar 19, 2017 - 09:28 PM

What do programmers lose when they get too old?

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

valusoft wrote:

What do programmers lose when they get too old?

Their functionality......

Edit:  They cease to function.

If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue! - Kartman

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB user

Last Edited: Tue. Mar 21, 2017 - 12:28 AM

valusoft wrote:

What do programmers lose when they get too old?

Their jobs.

274,207,281-1 The largest known Mersenne Prime

Measure twice, cry, go back to the hardware store

That happens with programmers of every age!

Jim Wagner Oregon Research Electronics, Consulting Div. Tangent, OR, USA http://www.orelectronics.net

valusoft wrote:

What do programmers lose when they get too old?

They babysit young grandchildren.... for me loosing my mind.

It all starts with a mental vision.

Last Edited: Tue. Mar 21, 2017 - 01:13 AM

Realise it would not have helped here but you might want to explore the use of a revision control system (SVN, Git, etc.) which would allow you to quickly revert to a working version if you had made changes that broke the code. The important thing is to commit changes often as you reach each next "working step".

My "Working Steps" tend to be very small.

274,207,281-1 The largest known Mersenne Prime

Measure twice, cry, go back to the hardware store

Torby wrote:
My "Working Steps" tend to be very small.

Might we even say "tip toe"?

every time I start working on code, or if I reach a point were things seem to work I make a zip file of the entire project. Then when I think things are really stable I make another zip file and put that apart. then zip the rest of the zip files and mark them as old.

If I have a couple of 'old' zip files and stables I just throw away the oldest versions.

I also develop code small steps at a time, just because it seems that every time I do a major change things stop working because I forgot a small thing and then look for the problem for hours.

theusch wrote:

Torby wrote:
My "Working Steps" tend to be very small.

Might we even say "tip toe"?

Well, certainly bare toed.

274,207,281-1 The largest known Mersenne Prime

Measure twice, cry, go back to the hardware store

The "wire" went bad!  or the contact in the BB got flaky and moving (replacing) the wire brightened the contact for a few more hours!  q:-(  I so dis-like BB's!)

ki0bk wrote:
... brightened the contact for a few more hours!  q:-(  I so dis-like BB's!)

3M

Solderless Breadboards and Accessories

(page 5, lower right)

* Terminals Gold Plated at 10 millionths thick

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

I so dis-like BB's!

I so much like BB's!

JC

ki0bk wrote:

See http://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...

Nuf said wink

A GIF is worth a thousend words   She is called Rosa, lives at Mint17.3 https://www.linuxmint.com/

Dragon broken ? http://aplomb.nl/TechStuff/Dragon/Dragon.html for how-to-fix tips

I stand in awe of the Atomic Zombie.

274,207,281-1 The largest known Mersenne Prime

Measure twice, cry, go back to the hardware store

Were you offered the buyer protection plan where you purchased your wire?  It is a necessary investment, since corrosion is on the upswing.

Like other natural hazards such as earthquakes or severe weather disturbances, corrosion can cause dangerous and expensive damage to

everything from pipelines, bridges, and public buildings to vehicles, water and wastewater systems, and even home appliances. Unlike weather-related

disasters, however, there are time-proven methods to prevent and control corrosion that can reduce or eliminate its impact on public safety, the economy,

and the environment. The science of corrosion prevention and control is highly complex, exacerbated by the fact that corrosion takes many different forms and is affected by numerous

outside factors. Corrosion professionals must understand the effects of environmental conditions

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.